| 08. FIND A PENNY, PICK HER UP

BOOK ONE
CHAPTER EIGHT

( FIND A PENNY, PICK HER UP )

*NOTE: from here onwards is unedited (there is no chapter 7 for this reason)

     THE SECOND DAY OF TRAINING brought nothing but boredom. The temporary flaring fire that I had constructed within the last hour struggled to maintain a luke warm flame, and it slowly and wearily died out. I wanted to give myself another attempt, but I couldn't be bothered to sit around, watching all the other Tributes climb artificial trees and throw deadly weapons across half the length of the Training Room.

     I peered at the collection of Tributes lining up for the obstacle course, like James had done the day before. They watched the older girl from Four dodge the Training assistant's attacks with awe. I shuddered. She could easily smash my head off quickly and efficiently if she seized the chance inside the arena.

     The Careers grouped around Althea and the sword fighting section. They chanted her name as she viciously swiped a shining platinum sword into a dummy. They cheered as she beheaded another. I would never know how death and violence amused them. District One and Two were the Capitol's servants; if the Districts provided them with more victorious Tributes, the Capitol would continue to cherish them as there favourites. It proved to be a deadly cycle.

     I also couldn't help it, but checking on Flax and Penny — the Tributes from District Eight — did provide me with a sense of hope. Penny was attempting a shot on the archery range whilst Flax shadowed his sister, helping her arrows fly further towards the centre of the target. Seeing a bond so close between two people and their protection for eachother reminded of the young siblings back in District Ten that would watch over the other as one of them would pinch a coin or two from the richer citizens back at the market centre.

     I sighed once more as I realised I may never see my District again.

     "You should never stare, you know. It strains your eyes."

     I turned around to see James knelt down behind me, starting up the fire that originally swirled back into ashes in hope of regaining my confidence.

     "I was just wondering if I should try the archery range," I said, my gaze falling back onto Penny and Flax.

     "What have you tried already?" James asked.

     "Knots, snares, tree climbing and this fire," I listed. "I also tried the spear range yesterday, but Blaise clearly stated that I died. Twice."

     James chuckled for a moment.

     "I might give that one a pass then."

     "They look at me like I'm a weakling," I said, my head adjusting down, facing the floor. "I want to go over there and prove them wrong." I nodded towards the knife throwing section where Rey from Two and the girl from Eleven were trying their hardest although, still not hitting the holograms correctly.