Wattpad Original

#PanicWritingContest: Bonus Chapter

Author's Note

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

------

Shakita

For a girl like me, Panic is the only way out.

Every summer, in the forgotten town of Carp, Texas, graduating seniors will risk their lives competing in a series of challenges for the chance to win life-changing money.

It's been this way for years.

Even if two students died last year. 

This town sure likes to uphold its traditions.

Carp is a one-way town with familiar faces and routines. Every day is the same. I wake up, go to school, work, and then I'm back home for dinner with my parents.

Every day is a routine I can't seem to break. A boring, repetitive cycle.

I gaze out at the lake, my toes skimming the freezing water. The waves are choppy today, moving in sync with the breeze. Each time the water laps against my toes, I shiver. Tonight is when Panic starts, just before the exam period. 

Every day school is in session, I've been donating one dollar to Panic. September through June. Many students have. The fund is supposed to large this year, according to the collector, Ray Hanrahan. Enough to get me the hell out of Carp.

If I can win.

Sighing, I rest my head against Arian's shoulder.

He loops an arm around my waist. "What's wrong?"

I breathe in his spicy cologne. "I'm daydreaming again. Daydreams are poisonous in a place like this. Everything's the same. There's never anything new. What's the rest of the world like? I've never been outside of Carp."

Arian's body stiffens. He knows what I'm implying. Understanding his loss isn't easy. All my friends are still alive. I can only imagine how he feels about Panic. But no matter how hard I try to sympathize with him, I feel adrenaline in my veins. Adding money I earned to the pot fuels my urge to play. Although I've sent applications out to several post-secondary institutions, praying for a scholarship, part of me hopes I'm able to take part in Panic. Many winners have been successful. Take Arian, for example. He won last year. Now he's living in Canada, working to become a mechanic in Montréal.

I'll never understand why Arian visits Carp. It's a town that holds too many tainted memories. A hellhole. 

I suppose love makes us do stupid things.

"It's nothing special," Arian replies.

"Bullshit," I scoff. "You're in another country, Ari. You're living a life you've always wanted."

You're free. You ran from your past. 

He stares down at me, his eyes filled with heavy emotions. "And I paid a price. One I wish I could reverse. If I could go back in time... If I could prevent Dane from participating..."