Chapter Seventy-Three: All in Purple

Things moved rather quickly after that. A cadre of men dressed in the rich purple of the imperial guard thundered into the room in perfect formation, and following a few words a gestures from the old man, freed the prisoners and took away Cicuta's guardsmen. They were marched off somewhere into the bowels of the palace. Tsuga flew down from the balcony, just as the old man took Aurelia from Salix's arms. Salix threw her arms around her fiancé, who laughed, reassuring her that he was all right. Petro pounded down a back staircase, emerging into the room to encounter Marcus and Mulberry's smiling faces. Cinnamon stood, looking dejected, until Vitus, momentarily leaving Salix, came and patted him on the back, full of complimentary words.

While all this was going on, Flora Althaea said a few words to the old man, and the two of them, accompanied by the remaining members of the imperial guard, left, bearing with them Cicuta's body. Seeing this, Salix, slightly teary-eyed, said something quiet to Vitus and then turned to the rest of the travellers.

"I'm - I'm really sorry" Salix said, her head bowed, not looking at her erstwhile friends.

“I didn't mean for this to happen. I didn't know what Flora Cicuta had in mind. Honest.”

Marcus glared at her and Mulberry shrugged, though Tsuga came and threw her arms around Salix's neck.

"It's okay, Senior Salix," She said, good-naturedly.

Marcus continued to glare, and Petro said, "It was sort of unpleasant for everyone, from what Flora Tsuga told me."

"If - if it matters, she - she lied to me. The head of our order lied to me!" Salix wailed, turning to Tsuga.

"Shh, I know, I know. It turns out she was rather nasty. Flora Althaea will see to it that everything's put right, though, Senior. I promise."

Marcus sighed, "I know you were lied to. I know. They told you he was dead," he gestured to indicate Vitus.

Mulberry added, "And you didn't want us to be hurt, or Aurelia."

Marcus reluctantly nodded, "You did help save Aurelia. You took good care of my little girl."

Tsuga blinked at this statement, exchanging glances with Petro and Cinnamon, both of whom sighed. It was only then that Marcus realised that the old man and the high-ranking woman had left, and that they had taken Aurelia with them. He looked about the room in confusion, then ran for the door, shouting, "They stole my daughter!"

Tsuga ran and caught his hand, saying, "No, Marcus. I don't think you understand everything yet. Even I don't understand everything yet. But I do know that Aurelia will be safe with them. I promise."