Chapter 40

Jeremy walks with me to my parent's guest house so I can see them off before we start working. It's time they head back home before my father starts fearing the downfall of all structure and functionality in his absence. I'm sure my mother would love to stay two or three more days with me, but she will remain loyal as always and accompany her Beta. There's no reason for her to worry about leaving me anyway. After seeing how content I am here—and how I haven't run for the hills—she'll have some peace of mind. The only problem she's seen is my crushing love for my mate, which, in most cases, isn't really a problem.

The clouds are out again today, but they lack the heavenly, bouncy look of the summer. Today they are grey and storm-baring, sloshing along and ready to release their downpour. Jeremy continuously glances up at them as if singular raindrops keep splattering on his face—a warning for what's to come. "Don't you feel it?" He asks as he peers up again.

I do the same. "I haven't felt anything."

"The Alpha will be out in the rain and mud it seems. It will start any second. Look, you can see it in the distance."

He points to the trees, above them where the view is blurred and grim. The tops of the trees poke right into the clouds. "Then let's pray we'll be back home before it starts."

"Did you mention the trip to Germany like we discussed?"

"No. I didn't have the chance. Something came up and he missed dinner. Last night was, well, complicated."

"Ah, right, the rogue wolf," Jeremy considers. "Perhaps you can talk with him today. The sooner, the better."

"I'll try."

We walk a bit further before Jeremy says, "You've been doing very well lately. Ever since you've gotten back from the Union, you've been flourishing."

"Really? It's just the proposition. It makes me look like I've got myself together, that's all."

"I don't think you'll need me for much longer."

I turn my head to him. "What do you mean?"

"It's almost time for me to move onto my next job," he clarifies. "You've gotten a handle on things here, and you'll no longer need my assistance, my guidance."

"Oh," I mutter, "I didn't know."

"Thought you could keep me forever?"

"If I could, I would. I don't know what I'll do without you."

"Don't kid yourself, Brigette. You know exactly what to do."

The guest house grows in the distance; the black car already parked outside, ready to be boarded. I ask, "Do you think David will have more time with me if he gets a third? I heard him talking about it with his father this morning. Will it really make a difference?"

"A third in command—interesting. It's not something I've seen in North America," he thinks out loud. "The Alpha must be acquiring one with that in mind, so I can only assume he would have considerably more time to spend as he wishes. Of course, it will depend on how much of his work he assigns to the third."

"He said he would make more time for me."

"Then why do you need me to reiterate what you already know?"

I shrug. "Just making sure, I guess."

Jeremy waits on the porch as I speak with my parents and help get the last of their things together. My father carries their bags to the car while my mother follows behind and looks up at the sky. She says, "I suppose we're leaving at the perfect time, just missing the poor weather."