11| Nyx

Edited.

Indigo couldn't stop bouncing with excitement as I buttoned up her sparkly coat. I could barely slip the buttons through the little stitched slits. The bed creaked with each jump, and I let out a sigh of relief when I finished the last button. She hopped off and dashed towards where her bag was. Just as she was about to scamper out of the room, I tucked my finger into the hat of her coat and dragged her back. She giggled as I pulled her back into my arms.

I spun her around, poking her tiny nose. "Not so fast, princess. You promise me you're feeling okay?" She nodded, squirming in my hold. "And you're not just saying that because you wanna go with Pops?" She shook her head.

Annie and I were reluctant about sending her along with Poppy tonight. She was still recovering from her cold and earlier, when she watched the hockey boys practise without me knowing, I thought for sure the ice had worsened her cold.

"I promise, Nyxie," she lifted a hand, her pinkie jutting out. I beamed, hooking mine with hers. "Pinkie promise." Just as I was about to step around Indigo, it was her that pulled me back, her small hand gripping onto the bottom of my sweater. "Are you okay?"

I frowned, staring down at the concerned look on her adorable features. "What are you talking about?" I questioned with a laugh, trying to pass it off as a joke. But Indigo didn't budge, her warm brown eyes narrowing.

She hopped onto the bed and patted the spot next to her. "Have a seat." Snorting into my hand, I followed her request and sat down, her hand suddenly on my own. "I hate seeing you cry, Nyxie." I went to intervene but she persisted. "You rarely cry, and the times I have seen you cry - it was because of Beckham." This was coming from a fucking five-year-old.

"Indie," I began in a soothing voice, trying to articulate my words correctly. "Don't you worry your pretty little head about anything, okay? I'm completely fine." A lie. But Indigo was five, she didn't need to stress about my personal problems.

Her eyes narrowed again. "Nyxie, you're my sister-"

"I didn't notice-"

"And I know you-"

"I'm glad you do-"

Indigo huffed. "But you act a little stonier than usual around Beckham," she informed me, her words assembling a lisp with her two missing front teeth. "You do the same thing around Daddy-"