13°

"So, this will be the room you will be occupying," Yumnah informed, pushing open the door to a room, along the hallway of the house.

Larai stepped into the room with her luggage hung on her shoulder and looked around. The room was spacious. On the wall, was a plasma television and in the middle of the room, was a huge bed. The classiness of the room had her completely awestruck. "This is my room?" The question flew out of her mouth before she had the chance to stop it.

Abashed, she looked down.

"I did say that earlier." Yumnah gave a tight-lipped smile. "So, yes, it is your room. Do you like it?"

Larai gave a nod.

"Great!" Yumnah remarked. "Yusuf instructed the maids to have the abandoned guest room conducive for you. There is the bathroom." She pointed to a door on the left side of the room. "You will find fresh towels in there. You should freshen up and then have a rest. If you need anything, just step out of the room. I'm sure you're going to see someone."  With that said, she turned around and sauntered out of the room.

"I didn't even thank her." Larai hit her head at her imprudence. The least she could have done was thank Yumnah for her efforts. "I wonder what she must be thinking of me now." She muttered underneath her breath. She shut the door, then walked into the room and dropped her things on the floor.

Her legs conveyed her to the big window. She pushed aside the heavy curtains and allowed her eyes to roam the environment: the view from there was spectacular and the air was fresh. She could see how big and neat the compound was. The fleet of cars parked beneath shields amazed her.

"Ammi, you wanted to speak to me?" Yusuf asked, walking into the stylish master's bedroom of his parents, which was painted in white.

Mrs. Hadiza was seated on the edge of the king-sized bed. "Yes." She responded and tapped the space beside her.

Yusuf took the seat and waited patiently for his mother to speak up.

"It's about Larai." She began.

A frown etched Yusuf's forehead.

"Okay..." He trailed off. "I hope it's something good."

"She's a naive girl —so innocent and pure. What happened to her is really sad. I can only imagine how sad she must be for running away from home."

"She shouldn't be." Yusuf sighed. "Her parents aren't good people."

"Even so. They are still her parents and you did mention she has never been away from home. She may not breathe a word to you or to anyone, but deep within her, she's not happy."

Yusuf nodded in concurrence. "I will try my best to make her feel at home here." He knew she was still uncomfortable and for that reason, he took it upon himself to make her feel at home.

Mrs. Hadiza smiled. "I may not say this often, but you should know that I'm proud of you— always have been. You're just twenty-six, but very mature.  For deciding to help that poor girl, you've done a good deed."

"Thank you, Ammi." He smiled. "Your upbringing has made me who I am today. I just couldn't turn a blind eye to the injustice. I had to step in and offer my help."

"That's good, my son, but for how long is she going to stay here?"

Yusuf shook his head. Left to him, he wanted her to stay forever. "I also don't know yet, but I have been thinking; wouldn't it be a good idea to help her further her studies here in the state?"

"Further her studies?"

"Yes, Ammi. Despite being in that remote village, Larai is a passionate girl. She strived hard to study. The school she attended is very far from her village, but because she had the zeal, she used to walk a long distance to get to school. And Ammi, she's very intelligent as well. What do you think? It's a good idea to help her further her education, right?"