TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:
THE END OF THE F***ING WORLD

When Jason woke up, he found himself alone in the living room

When Jason woke up, he found himself alone in the living room. No Five to stroke his hair lovingly, no Diego to fawn over, no soul-brother, no monkeyman, no literal monkey, no—

you get the point.

He was absolutely alone.

he set out to go find the others, but he had no luck.

Grace was sitting in front of her paintings and enjoying the view when Jason found her. She tilted her head towards him without taking her eyes off of the paintings and he silently sat next to her.

"They're beautiful," Jason said looking at them all.

Grace hummed and wrapped a hand around Jason's shoulder and tilted him until his head was laying on her shoulder— or till where he could reach in his teenage body.

"I've always wanted to go outside," Grace began after a moment of silence, "See all of this for myself."

"Why didn't you?"

The hand around his shoulder moved to his hair, "I wasn't allowed to."

Jason closed his eyes, "Well, he's not around anymore to stop you."

"I have the kids to look after now, it's been years since I last saw them," the hand paused before continuing the gentle motion, "It's been lonely, I'm happy to have them around again."

Jason sighed and shifted closer to Grace, "You're a good mom Grace, they're lucky to have you."

"I'm lucky to have them," Jason could imagine her smiling as she said that, thinking about her kids, "Do you miss yours?"

Jason opened his eyes and tilted his head up to meet Grace's eyes that were already on him, "My mom?" he got a nod, "Yeah I guess, it's been...years. I try not to think about her."

"If you ever need someone to talk to, or hug, you know where to find me," She laid a kiss on his head and then looked back at the paintings.

Jason fought back the tears and closed his eyes, taking the comfort she was offering.

It didn't take long after that for the Hargreeves siblings to show up. Jason was peacefully dosing on Mama Hargreeves' shoulder when Luther's booming footsteps startled him but Grace just picked him up effortlessly making Jason's brain glitch for a moment before remembering Robot Mama Hargreeves was a robot so strength, and just leaned his head back against her shoulder as she carried him to the kitchen. Diego was already sitting behind the table playing with something in his hand, so Grace sat Jason down in the seat next to him.

She smiled when she saw Jason quickly seeking comfort and warmth from Diego and the Latino making himself comfortable and letting the teen cling to him. She turned around and started to make something for them both, leaving them to their thoughts.