𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

CHAPTER SEVEN:

I get out of the crashed helicopter and look around at the place. Hey, at least it's a nice view. I start to walk down the muddy road and they follow on.

"I swear, if I hear one more word from him, I will kick him in the face." Yelena hisses, the two of them suddenly beside me.

"He's the worst-" 

"NATASHA." We look over at him. "Natasha, Natasha. Come here, I want to ask you something. Come, it's important."

Nat lets out a sigh and walks over to him. "What?

Although it must've meant to have been a private conversation, both me and Yelena could easily hear it all. "Did he talk to you about me?"

"What?"

"Did he talk to you about me? You know, trading war stories?"

"Who? What are you talking about?"

"Captain America." He says, as if it was obvious. "My great adversary in this theatre of geopolitical conflict. Not so much a nemesis. More like a contemporary, you know? Coequal. I always thought there was a great deal of mutual respect..."

"Wait. You haven't seen either one of us in 20 years- and you're gonna ask me about you?" Nat asks him.

He looks around at all of us. "What is with this tension? Did I do something wrong?"

Yelena tries to hold herself together as she looks over at him. "Is that a serious question?" I shake my head in disbelief at the man and I continue down the road, leaving them to deal with their- family issues? Is that the word?

"I'm starting to think we should've kicked him out of the ship a long time ago." Yelena says, appearing beside me after a while.

"Couldn't agree more." I mutter as we walk down the road. We walk in silence for a moment.

"A robot?" 

I look over at her and furrow my eyebrows. "What?" 

"She cheated on you, with a robot." She says, adding some form of context.

"Yeah..." I say, looking away.

"Sounds pretty dumb." She says.

"On who's side is it dumb?" I ask her, raising an eyebrow.

"I mean, sure, the robot might last longer, but what's the point in that?" She asks. "To break someone else's heart because you've fallen for a machine."

"It kinda stirred things up at the compound for a while, but I guess there's worse things that could've happened." I shrug.

"Worse?" She looks over at me.

"When you live in a compound with people who are trained assassins, super soldiers, soldiers in general, geniuses with Iron Man suits, and people who can move things with their minds, things can easily get out of hand." I say. She nods. "Take what happened with the accords as an example- none of us were too happy with each other's views, it only caused a war between us all." 

"And now you're on the run, from basically, everyone." She finishes.

"Precisely." I say.

"Sounds pretty lonely. Being on the run." She says.

"I've done it more than once." I assure her. "You get used to it. Besides- I've got Nat." I shrug it off.

"Oh, you are so lonely." She says, hitting my arm.