3.5

✰

The weekends were always a blessing to Tango, since her and Charlie had been very busy for a while, any day off was gladly received. Especially if it meant her human gave her food from his plate.

Charlie was making a sandwich when Bella walked in. She pretended not to notice as he dropped small pieces of ham every now and then to Tango who sat at his feet borderline begging.

Her dad looked up from his sandwich making and acknowledged his daughter, "Hey. Do you want a sandwich?"

Bella walked over and washed her hands, "No, I'm good."

"Well, the sister... I like." Charlie had just been talking to one of Bella's stinky friends, the small one who loved to buy Tango things. It also helped butter up the Chief when she bought new toys for his dog, a new rope was always good news in the Swan household.

And on the plus side she never made his daughter depressed nor run away to Italy for days without telling him.

"Alice. Yeah, she's great," of course she had just explained everything about preparing for the battle outside. Being overly casual Bella brought up the topic which had been on her mind since Edward had asked her, "Hey, Dad. I was wondering... Why didn't you get remarried, after Mom?"

Tango tilted her head, she knew that this 'Mom' person had to be a human but why she hadn't met her she had no clue.

Charlie sighed at the weight of the question and his eyes widened quickly, "Ah, I don't know... Guess I still haven't met the right gal." He let out an uncomfortable laugh, "Why?"

"I don't know. I thought you just..." Bella blinked many times which looked rather odd to Tango. "Maybe you gave up on the whole institution of it. Of marriage. But do you think there's any value in it?

Charlie placed down his bread knife and nodded, "Yeah. Yeah, marriage has value. When you're older. Much older," he gestured a hand to her eighteen year old self. "Like you're mother... It seem to work out fine for her the second time round. Later in life."

"Yeah, I guess." Bella muttered.

"I mean... You definitely don't wanna have to get married, because you weren't..." he looked for the right word, "um, careful."

Bella looked confused, "What?"

"Look, you know what I'm talking about. There's... " Charlie took in a deep breath and shrugged his shoulders, "Things, that you need to think about it, if you... If you gonna be... physically intimate." His eyebrows pinched together like it pained him to talk about.

Tango could physically smell the awkwardness radiating from the two.

Bella pushed away from the sink looking equally as mortified. "Okay. Don't... until we've enough of 'The Talk'."

The Chief could take on armed robbers but when giving his teenage daughter the sex talk it seemed all courage went out the window and he held his arms up in defence. "Don't you just quit. It's just as embarrassing for me, as it is for you."

"I doubt that. And don't bother, 'cause Mom beat you too early ten years ago."

"Well, you didn't have a boyfriend ten years ago."

"I'm sure things work the same way."

Charlie nodded reluctantly, "Alright. So... You guys are taking precautions, and..."

Bella interrupted him before he could finish talking, "Okay, dad. Please just don't worry about that." It was hard explaining that her boyfriend would only have sex with her if they were married, not to mention if they tried the process could possibly kill her. "Edward is... old school."

Charlie didn't look reassured at all, "Old school, great. What's that? Like a code for something?"

"Oh my God. Dad... I'm a virgin."

Charlie yelled and covered his ears and stammered his next words, "Okay, good. Glad we covered that."

Bella gave an awkward thumbs up and ran up the stairs yelling, "Me too."

Charlie hummed to himself, "Virgin... Liking Edward a little bit more now." He took a bite of his sandwich which had taken longer to make than anticipated. Tango snorted and sat down by Charlie's feet. Her humans were very strange but she wouldn't have it any other way.