prologue ; WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER?

      IT BEGINS HERE—

      IT BEGINS HERE—

     A virus. A brain-rotting, neuron-changing virus that takes control of a person's central nervous system. Primrose Roy remembers the first time she saw someone get bit. In the OBGYN and maternity wing, she saw a woman—stomach protruding and plump—get bit by a beast. It ripped her apart, gashes and tendrils of soft, supple skin within its canines. Then, the beast went for the stomach.

     Primrose started moving after that.

     She's still not quite sure what this thing is. All she knows is that it's all about control. Your movements, your hunger, your limbs, you.

     Primrose Roy won't let it control her.

     So—despite her growing and metamorphic condition—she fought. And fought and fought. There's was a growing life inside of her. Her best friend, Sam—she had to live for him, as well. Her friends, her sweet, new friends—they were so kind and welcoming. Primrose had to live for them. They were her family.

     Until she gave birth. Her sweet little bundle of joy. It was quick. The moment Primrose held her baby in her arms, she knew she'd do anything for her. Anything and everything.

     Primrose keeps her close. As their friend's bodies drop like flies or get consumed by the kiss of death (in this case—the virus) Primrose makes sure her daughter doesn't. She makes sure her little girl stays alive.

     "Mom," the young girl says. "What do you remember about BEFORE?"

     Primrose touches her daughter's cheek and strokes it lovingly. Her eyes, however, stare hard at the blotched and bumpy graves in the ground. Her heart squelches. Her eyes fall back onto her sweet, sweet daughter.

     What do you remember about BEFORE?

     Primrose's eyes fill with tears.

     "I remember damage."

(Author's Note)

hey!! long time , no see. i am so srry for not uploading sooner. this semester really kicked my ass and i had to take time to just rot in my room. but now i'm ready to go on with this book and try to fix it up to the best of my ability.

anyways thx and lmk know what u think!! stay safe 💛