CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: YOU & I

🪘🪘🪘

YOU & I

My thoughts need to be occupied. I didn't want to think about my nightmares, Kamalu's strange marriage proposal, and at least, Cergio. Therefore, I took part in the house chores so much that my family members wouldn't stop staring at me. They wouldn't let me do much in the kitchen, so I took to mobbing the floors and wiping the dust off every surface I came across.

"Kasiemobi, what is wrong?" Mum asked as she met me in the living room, wriggling the water off the mob before placing it on the floor to clean.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I replied without looking up at her. She was silent for a while, that I believed she must have gone.

"Is this because of Kamalu and the marriage proposal?"

"What do you want me to say, mum? Yes? If I say that, will you stop disturbing me about accepting the proposal?" I queried the moment I lifted my eyes to her face. Her expression was the same, except she eventually drifted her eyes elsewhere.

"You won't." I stated, before continuing with mobbing.

"Kasie." She called, and I had to stop what I was doing, barely lifted my eyes back to her.

Mum placed a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay to be upset. Someday, you'll understand and you won't be angry anymore. Okay?" She commented, the look in her eyes were soft and empathetic. I nodded, although a part of me wishes she says more than that. Actually, tell me what the reason is, but she never did and I watched her walk away.

A sigh left my lips, and I went back to what I was doing. Thinking only about mobbing and where next to clean.

"Kasie, you need to come with me." Chidera called out while walking up to me. I lifted my eyes to her, away from the tiles I was mobbing in my room.

"Why? What is wrong?" I asked, as she locked her arm with mine. "Nothing but I need your advice on something important so come with me." Chidera added, her explanation vague, but her will was strong as she dragged me along with her.

"Why can't I give you the advice while standing in the room?"

"Well, because you have to see it and before knowing the right words to use." She explained and I could only shake my head at her while she took me along with her down the stairs and towards the smaller living room.

I spared her a look, a little confused by the direction we were heading. "The living room? I expected your room."

"Yes, that's right." She stated when we were at its entrance and she unlocked arms with me.

"I think I forgot what I had to show you back in my room. Go on in, I'll be back."

"We can always go there together." I suggested, taking a step to follow her.

"No." Chidera was quick to stop me. I furrowed my brows at her. Something strange is definitely going on with her. "Go in Kasie and I'll be back in a minute." She stated once more, but this time her running off was faster.

For a second, I watched her go before turning away and walking into the living room. The moment my eyes fell on him, I froze on the very spot I was standing while my eyes gradually widened.

"Hi." He greeted as he stood to his feet. Chidera! That's why she was acting strange.

"Hi." A word actually came through my lips. I wasn't sure I could speak, and yet, I did.

Cergio was here, in front of me. A man I've tried so hard all day to avoid. Yet, seeing him... it made me realise how much I'd missed him.

"Um..." He started as he took a few steps closer to me and I wasn't sure if it would be okay for me to take a few steps back.