Chapter nine

AJ was exhausted. Every muscle hurt and complained and she could barely drag herself up the stairs when she got home that night. Every step was complete misery, and yet, it felt more than good, like she had earned the pain. She smiled at herself, thinking back to the run. She was dirty, mud clung to her naked body and her hair was a mess with little leaves and twigs tangled in it. Her parents had gone to bed, she could hear her father's snoring through their closed bedroom door, but it was also almost three am, no wonder. She had been out running for eight hours, it was hard to believe, it felt only like a couple. She had no idea being a wolf could be so exhilarating, so free. And so tiring. She knew the first shift would always leave a young wolf like that but she didn't care one bit. She had had the time of her life. And she had had it with Dylan of all people. She giggled to herself, shaking her head in disbelief.

Reaching her bedroom she flung herself onto her bed, not caring that she was dirty, not caring that her sheets were clean. She curled up in a ball and pulled a blanket around her. Thunder rattled her window and rain pelted it continuously, she caught herself wondering for a moment if she would be able to sleep with that racket going on. But no more than two seconds later she drifted into deep oblivion.

When she finally opened her eyes again she was in the exact same position. But the sun was streaming in through the window bathing the room in a golden light. She was hungry, her stomach growled furiously. She tried sitting up in her bed but her muscles were still sore and she ended up yelping as she fell to the floor, tangled in her blanket. She rubbed her eyes, feeling the grit on her hands and the mud on her face. Damn, she would have to shower first and then raid the fridge. She looked at her phone, it was almost noon and there were seven missed calls from Lily and sixteen texts. How did she sleep through that? She would have to call her back. But first, shower and food.

After her quick shower, she wobbled down the stairs, drying her hair in a towel. Her mother greeted her by the foot of the stairs, beaming at her daughter. "AJ," she breathed, holding AJ's face in her hands, kissing her cheeks and forehead. "How was it?"

"Mom, it was amazing, you would not believe the fun I have had." AJ couldn't get the words out fast enough. "The moonlight, the forest, everything, it was amazing, I can't even describe it."

Her mother nodded enthusiastically, "I remember, I do remember," she said in a laugh refusing to let go of her daughter's face.

"It was just- it was just fantastic," AJ continued, "We ran everywhere, we went to the flower fields first, and the spring. I'm pretty sure we chased every animal in a hundred-mile radius."

"We?" Penny questioned.

Well, fuck. "I mean, me and my wolf," AJ lied quickly. Yeah, that sounded plausible. "That's why I said 'we', but that would be stupid, wouldn't it? Cause I am the wolf, right?" She faked a laugh and shrugged.

Penny just smiled and shook her head at her daughter, kissing her forehead again. Her expression then dropped and she let go of her face. "Your father is in the kitchen, he would like a word." AJ couldn't read her but walked to the kitchen followed by her mother.

Henry sat at the table, waiting patiently for AJ to come to him. He looked as though he hadn't slept all night, even though AJ knew he had. He looked older, his hair was a mess, he hadn't shaved, the wrinkles around his eyes seemed deeper when he looked at her. Was he sad? She couldn't tell? "I'm glad it went well," he said with a voice like gravel, "I'm glad you made it back safe and sound."

"I did," AJ piped up, not able to read him or the atmosphere. Her mother sat down next to him, gave him a short smile and a warning glance. "What's going on?" AJ asked sitting down opposite them, "You're acting strange."