Bedtime

Morgan didn't want her mother to go. "Mom." She said. "You don't understand. The monster is here. It hides while you're in my room."

But her Mom wouldn't listen. She leaned down and kissed Morgan on her forehead. "Sweetie, I know you think there's a monster in here, but I promise you that the monster isn't real."

"But he is!" Morgan said.

Her mom smiled and said, "Did you know your Mom used to be afraid of monsters?"

Morgan held the blankets tightly."You did?" She asked.

Her mother nodded. "I was very afraid of them. I always believed there was a monster in my closet or under my bed. In fact, there was one monster that I was scared of the most. It had a great big hook for a hand and lots of nasty teeth."

She made a growling noise like she was the monster. Morgan retreated back every so slightly.

"What did you do to get rid of it?" Morgan asked.

"I realized it wasn't real." Her mother said. "And then it stopped coming around. Maybe you should try it, sweetheart."

Her mother gave Morgan a kiss on the forehead one more time and then stood. She walked over to the open door.

"Goodnight, Morgan." She said. "Mommy loves you."

And then, her mother left, walking down the hallway.

After a moment of quiet, a deep familiar voice came from behind the door to Morgan's bedroom.

"Is that what she thinks happened?" The monster said.

Morgan's eyes widened as a nasty hook appeared from behind the door. She could see a toothy smile in the dark.

"I should pay Mommy a visit."I

Morgan threw the covers over her head. She repeated the phrase 'you're not real' over and over again as heavy footsteps moved down the hall. It wasn't until she heard her mother scream, that Morgan realized some monsters are very real indeed.

 It wasn't until she heard her mother scream, that Morgan realized some monsters are very real indeed