Chapter Two - 31

"One weekend, your mother and I had nothing to do. We sat on the very couch your sitting on, planning on what to do." Ted said to his kids, pointing at the couch.

***

After a while of silence, thinking of what to do, Tracy came up with an idea.

"We theorize about who Number 31 is!" Tracy exclaimed.

"Fine, since I can't think of anything else to do." Ted agreed.

After a long time of theorizing, they got bored and no where.

"Alright we have to do something better with our lives." Ted said.

"What about finding her?" Tracy asked, boldly.

"Trace, do you know how long that's going to take? Barney has... you know... with every girl in New York!" Ted said.

"Not every girl. Not me or Lily."

"Fine. Let's check MacLaren's."

Ted and Tracy drove down to the bar and talked to Carl and asked questions.

"Hey, Carl. Do you happen to keep a record of who comes here every night?" Ted asked.

"Yeah, why?" Carl replied, poring whisky in a small cup for a customer.

"Can you tell us who was here on August Thirty First Twenty Nineteen?" Ted asked. Carl went on his computer and typed it in quickly.

"Your friend Barney Stinson was the first one here. A bunch of other people who hadn't come since... and that girl over there." Carl said, pointing to you at a table at the back of the bar.

"Thanks." Ted thanked Carl.

Him and Tracy walked over to you.
"Hi, do you know Barney Stinson?" Tracy asked you.
"Yeah, do you?" You asked.
"He's our friend." Ted answered. You got up from your table and gathered your things at a fast speed. "Wait! Were not like him!" You then stopped what you were doing and turned to them.
"You're not? Why be his friend?" You asked, shocked.
"I don't know, honestly." Ted answered, looking confused.
"I'm only his friend because he is. I'm Tracy McConnell and this is my boyfriend, Ted Mosby." Tracy introduced to you.
"Nice to meet you! Ted? Is your name kind of pronounced like "Jed Mosley" from The Wedding Bride?" You asked Ted.
"NO GOD NO!" Ted shouted. "I am not Jed Mosley!"
"The Wedding Bride is based off a bad point in Ted's life. I'll explain later." Tracy said.
"Oh. Anyway, that jerk Barney Stinson got me pregnant! I should have never went home with him. Now I have to raise this child on my own. Worse, fatherless." You said, looking at your stomach.
"Look, Barney wants to help raise your son or daughter. He just doesn't know it yet." Ted said. This made you confused.
"What he's trying to say is, Barney is a good man deep down and if you..." Tracy started to say. She started to make a hand motion, signalling you to introduce yourself.
"Y/N Y/L/N." You said.
"Y/N Y/L/N, were to give us your number. We'll give it to him and everything will go well. I promise." Tracy continued.
"Are you sure I can trust you guys? Heck, you're friends with Barney Stinson!" You asked.
"You can trust us." Ted said, looking you in the eyes.
"Fine." You said. You wrote your number on a bar napkin and they thanked you and took off. Now you had to wait for that text or call from the father of your child.