Chapter 4

My eyes met a sea of darkness when the door parted. There was not a single star in the sky today as the sky was overcast. A mindless glimpse at the luminous round object enlightened me with the fact that today was a full moon.

I darted my gaze back to the room. The first thing my eyes could make out was what should be the couch that sprawled in the middle of the living area and that too because of the moonlight that was casting a faint glow around it.   

It was a pretty big place for a room. I had no idea that the mysterious door was hiding a whole house behind it. 

With a palpitating heart and shaking knee, I ventured in. The cold silence reigning over the space suggested that he wasn't in here. My fingers clenched the edge of the tray as I squinted my eyes to survey the dark room. All I could hear was the sound of my footwear thumping against the floor and a pulse in my ear. Without thinking twice, I started walking towards the couch basking in the mellow light of the moon, as if that was my anchor in this ocean of seamless darkness.

Luckily, I didn't bump into any furniture as I trudged through the darkness. For some reason, the lack of light in the room was disconcerting me. And the occasional noise of thunderbolt making it worse. I bent forward and set the tray on the table that stood before the couch. A light gush of cold air swept across my nape, causing my heart to skip a beat.               

I hastily erected my position and was about to spin around with the intention of darting out of the room. But all my plans crumbled to the ground when my back hit a taut wall. Not a wall. My breathing became labored and all thoughts, beliefs, notions flew out of my head, and panic set in. The shock had me stumped when I felt hot puffs of air hitting the top of my head. I could feel it. Someone was standing behind me. And too close for my comfort. My heart galloped in fear and without thinking once I started screaming my lungs out but then a hand pressed itself on my mouth, successfully stifling my scream.

I couldn't remember when the attacker wheeled me around and pushed me against a wall. His hand still on my mouth. I clasped tightly at his biceps and looked at him with wide eyes. The impenetrable darkness shielding his face. Tears sprung to my eyes as I tried to make out his features. I could feel his breath fanning my sweating forehead. I could hear the sound of his heartbeat. We both had our hearts drumming loudly. I could also smell mint and lime in his breath. All my senses were fully awake and attentive to his propinquity.

We stayed like this for a few moments. His hand clasping my mouth and my hands clutching his arms. I waited for him to retract his hand and let me go. But he seemed to be not in the mood. My heart jumped a beat when he inched forward unabashedly. His nose a centimeter apart from mine. The warmth of his body seeped in through my skin. I swallowed a lump when he raised his hand and drew it towards me. Was he going to hit me? I squeezed my eyes shut in anticipation. But nothing came.

A moment later, my ear caught a click sound and I felt light flooding into the room. Confused, I opened my eyes to see my attacker. 

To say, I was stunned would be an understatement. The world stopped spinning around me when my eyes fell on the person who had me pinned against the wall. The first thing I noticed was his eyes. The same pair of brown orbs, gleaming under his thick and black eyelashes. And then my entranced gaze sloped down his aristocratic nose and rested at his not so plumpy lips, inciting a forbidden hunger in me. How would they taste? A mild ache sparked in the middle of my chest as my eyes dropped down to his sharp jaw and then to his throat. Water pooled in my mouth when I noticed his adam's apple bobbing up and down. The temptation of sucking on that protruded muscle was too painful. 

I whipped my gaze back up to his eyes. He was checking me out too and might I add rather brazenly. A flame rose up my cheek. He removed his hand ever so slowly from my mouth while staring right into my eyes. It felt as if he was seeing through my soul.

His intense gaze trickled down to my lips the moment he removed his hand off them. A shiver snaked down my spine when I noticed the flame of desire blazing in his eyes when they fell on my plumpy lips. His proximity was doing things to me. And his mesmerizing eyes were not helping a bit. They lingered on my pink lips a little longer before they found their way back to my eyes. 

His one arm was still snaked around my waist. He let his gaze rove over my face, taking note of every feature, every blemish, every mark. I was feeling more exposed than I felt while being naked in the bathroom. 

My heart thundered in its place when he dipped his face to my level and started reaching for my lips. His brown orbs were latched onto my mouth. And the passion burning in them was blinding me of my reality. Instinctively, I squeezed my eyes shut, not knowing what else to do. A restless tingle purled over my lips when his minty breath fanned across my soft flesh. I clenched my fist out of nervousness. 

The anticipation was killing me. My inside quivered when I felt his lips just a centimeter away from mine. I was waiting for him to remove the distance and claim my virgin lips but what he did next was completely unexpected. My fluttering heart wilted like a flower when he drew away and unwrapped his hand from around my waist. Disappointment impaled me like a sword when I felt his looming shadow disappearing. 

I opened my eyes and saw him walking back to the table.

Shame, disappointment, and a little agitation had set my cheek aflame. He oblivion to my state sat down on the couch and hunched towards the table.   

A sense of humiliation washed over me. Maybe he didn't find me good enough. The thought stabbed me like a shard.

I looked away from him and started talking towards the door when a deep husky voice echoed in the room. 

"Stay," he said and my feet obliged without any qualm.    

Do like and Comment