Epilogue

Gavin

"I once met a boy when I was little," I spoke through the microphone.

I was at the spring formal with my friends.

Lester, Casper, Noah, and even Kent Sinclair managed to join us. Everyone was happy.

Everyone save for me.

"I was a little kid in a park,"

The gymnasium was decorated beautifully. Silver and black as the theme was 'Robots'.

There was a stage with a microphone and a sign that read "Say something nice"

I didn't have an elaborate speech like the one Noah delivered and I didn't apologise for bullying Kent Sinclair like Casper did. But I did have a story to share.

"And I was always an outcast. Every other kid I met hated me. No one played with me and I was just miserable,"

A few people were listening to me while the others went on with their life. But the more I spoke, the more attention I got, and the more anxious I've become.

"I knew loneliness at a very young age. As I'm sure some of you probably did too," I smiled empathetically. "It sucks and it shaped me up to be someone who couldn't stand being alone."

My mind was with Zane, who was my date tonight. The date that stood me up, that is.

Was he in his room all alone? It sure felt like I was without him here.

"I met this boy when I was six. He became my friend, if only for a really short amount of time," I felt my body welling up.

Would he wear a black suite?

part of my life, I felt like I was looking for my soulmate. I asked about him a lot, and I dreamt of him even more," I laid out my heart bare, but he wasn't even here to see it.

Would he hold my hand or would he grab my waist?

"It wasn't going to work, you know? The idea of finding one person who I didn't even know his name," I laughed bitterly. "he was lost in a sea of people I'd never encounter again," I paused to take a breath. "Until I found him,"

Almost everyone was listening intently to my story. I wasn't as fazed by them as I were at first. Though one pair of eyes caught mine.

Madeline.

She really thought she did something other than showing me that she was despicable.

"And I went on chasing him. Who wouldn't chase a person who they firmly believed was their soulmate?"

Noah told me that Ruby and Sawyer had found out that Madeline fabricated the whole thing.

But they didn't even have to tell me anything because when I arrived there, everything was clear as day for me.

"The guy wasn't Zane Murad, and it made me realise that I didn't want a soulmate who was someone other than him,"

Murmurs and whispers started, but tonight, I didn't care about anything but him. He didn't need to be here for my night to be about him.

"The moment I saw the person I thought I was chasing, I knew I was in love with Zane, only Zane," I wiped my eye which was staring to sting a little. "He isn't here tonight, but I believe he had a good reason not to be,"

Was he thinking about me? Did he hate me?

"Which makes the night all the more lonelier. Some of you came with your roommates, some with your home economics' husbands,"