2. Lipstick

Friday, evening

Ever since Layne had invited him to hang out on Friday, the guy had been talking to him in school more often. Which meant that Noah, by Friday, met most of his friends already. It made him less nervous about going out; most of them seemed great. Layne had introduced him to Alan Danton, who was seventeen, pretty tall, had dark hair and brown eyes. Out of everyone Noah had met so far, he was the most serious.

Alan was dating a sweet girl named Daphne Jones, who was short, energetic, and cute—for a girl. She, however, was best friends with Karen, which was one of the reasons Noah had avoided her as much as he could without being too obvious. And then there was a guy named Jackson Fisher and a girl named Julia Sanders.

He had met Julia last but liked her most. She had a strong mind of her own, wasn't afraid to tell Karen to shut up and was strongly opinionated on a lot of topics, though she always seemed to know exactly how to explain everything in a logical way. She was smart, a natural beauty, and funny.

But what made Noah like her the most, was that she told Karen—with exact words—to choke on her lipstick and drown in her own judgement when Karen had judged two girls who were holding hands during lunchbreak.

Santino had snorted, Karen had been visibly angry because he didn't stand up for her, and Layne was quick to explain to Noah—after Karen stormed off—that anyone could call themselves Santino's best friend, Julia was really the only one who could claim the title.

Julia had also apologized for her anger towards Karen, explaining that her brother was bisexual and had faced his own judgement from strangers for dating a guy.

Which was the sole reason Noah immediately loved her more than everyone else. Though he still wasn't planning on ever coming out, it was good to know that people like Julia would be there to have his back, in case it ever accidentally happened.

Which was why he found himself standing by her side, in a club called Sei, on Friday evening after work. Layne, Santino, and Karen weren't by their side—all moving around to greet other friends—but Noah didn't care.

"So, Layne told me your parents took over Novanta," Julia asked when they sat down in a booth to take a breather.

"Yeah, three months ago, I think?" Noah replied with a nod, "they're super busy with it, but they love the job so I guess it makes them happy."

"And you? Are you happy that they took over a restaurant this far away from home?"

"Gotta admit, I wasn't super excited, no. I'm still not. I hate the restaurant, honestly. But at least I got to know Layne and therefor you guys so that kinda helps."

"I used to hate that place too, you know? My mom was the owner a few years ago and I still blame the restaurant for the fact my parents divorced."

"Shit, should I be scared?"

"Nah, if your parents both work there, and they love the job, they'll be fine. My dad hated it too. He supported my mom, but I guess he really didn't like the fact she was living her dream, and he couldn't pursue his own."

"Why couldn't he?"

Julia chuckled, glancing around the club, "because she couldn't picture it. His vision. But this? Sei? This was his vision, and after they divorced, he bought a shitty club and turned it into something amazing."

"Wait, your dad owns this place?"

"Fifty/fifty with his business partner, yeah."

"That's pretty cool, really. But it still sucks that your parents got divorced."

"They really were a terrible match. I can see that now. Sonny and Layne made me realize how much better they are off without each other. And whenever I talk to my brother about it, we both fully agree that it was for the better, even though it wasn't easy." She suddenly perked up in her seat and turned back towards him. "But hey, we were talking about you, not me."

Noah chuckled and nodded, "what else do you want to know? I mean, there isn't much to tell."

"Siblings?"

"One older brother, Adrian. He's nineteen and he lives half an hour away. He helps out at the restaurant twice a week and we all have dinner together each Monday."

"So, close family?"

"Average. We have dinner together, but we don't go out for trips or such. My parents saved up for our college funds and their dream and that meant that we couldn't go on trips that much. But it's fine, my ex and hi... her parents... took me out, uh, on holidays so I did do some of all that." Noah felt his face burn, though it probably would go unnoticed by Julia since it was warm inside the club anyway. But just sitting there, talking with her while drinking alcohol, made him forget that he wasn't out any longer.

Sadly, Julia picked up on every single little detail people told her.

She pressed her lips together, visibly trying to fight a smile, and Noah simply knew she caught onto his mistake. Julia, however, turned out to be even better than he expected.

"That's sweet of them," she eventually replied with a warm smile. "It's good when you have people that see you as family, who take you with them like you belong." She nodded a few times. "Who let you be yourself."

Noah sucked in his breath as they stared at each other, and cracked when Julia continued.

"You can be you, you know? Around me."

Noah sighed deeply, knowing there was no point in hiding it. She knew, and he knew she knew. And he knew she was supportive and in that moment—intoxicated by the many drinks they had—he didn't find a single reason to fight it.

"I just don't want to be out."

Julia nodded, grabbed his hand and squeezed, "it'll be our little secret. But really, I told you before today. My brother dated a guy and I'm totally cool with it. My family is cool, my friends are cool. Just remember that, for when you are ready."

"It's actually kinda nice to have someone to tell," Noah admitted with a small smile, "but it was sort of a shitshow in my old school and I really just wanna get through this year and go of to college and be me."

"So..." Julia drawled, lolling her head but never breaking eye contact, "are your parents cool?"

Noah smiled back, nodding his head. "They really are."

"Good," Julia replied happily, "I was gonna offer you my dad. He handled it like a king when my brother came out. "Just in case you needed a parental figure."

"I have two, and they're truly amazing. And you're too, you know that, right?"

"I do my best." Julia chuckled and patted his knee. "Just know you can talk to me whenever you need to."

Noah nodded, appreciating her more each second. But he wasn't sure if he felt comfortable enough to talk to her about his slight crush on Santino, and how it reminded him of falling for Colin. Or how he missed Colin more each day. But it really wasn't the best topic to discuss in a club, which was why he allowed Julia to drag him towards the bar, order drinks, and eventually reunite with her friends on the dance floor.