Chapter six

I left my room with my backpack in my hand

I left my room with my backpack in my hand. I headed downstairs towards the kitchen. What I didn't expect was Luke wearing a blue party hat, white balloons floating around the kitchen, as well as a birthday cake on the island.

"Happy birthday!" He said as I reached the island, a smile tugged my lips.

"Luke," I approached him and gave him a tight hug. "You didn't have to do this." I pulled away, he smiled brightly.

"I can't believe you're twenty-three." Time flies. "My baby sister." He pulled me in another hug.

"Okay, brother." I pulled away, my smile never fading. He turned to the side and grabbed two boxes with a bag. "What... you didn't have to." He smiled as I took them. I dropped my bag on the floor and went around the island to sit on the stool. I grabbed the bag and took out the tissue paper, hiding the goods.

"That one's from me." I smiled, glancing down to the bottom of the bag. A small, dark red, leather box sat on the bottom. My eyes widened at the realization. The name Cartier shined in gold symbols. I took it out, popping the top open. A gold Cartier bracelet sat inside. The one I've been dreaming to get. My mouth slightly opened as I looked at Luke.

"You didn't."

"I did." I squealed and jumped out of my chair to give him a hug. "Slow down, smart pants." I backed away and took out the bracelet. "Here, I'll put it on." He clasped it on my wrist, letting me check it out.

"I love it." He smiled, pulling me to his chest.

"Enjoy it, Mel." He placed a kiss on my head. "Here, these are from Mom and Dad." I grabbed the two boxes, wrapped in white wrapping paper with silver balloons decorating it. I unwrapped the first on and saw a brand new iPad Pro.

"No way!" I've wanted to buy this since the beginning of the school year, but never managed to buy one. "I love this! Did you tell them?" I looked dup at him as I placed it on the island and grabbed the other box. It was slim and long. Possibly an add-on to the previous gift. I didn't complain. Luke nodded.

"They didn't stop bugging me." I smiled, inwrapping the other one, revealing an Apple pencil.

"Gosh, this is amazing. Thank you!" I said to him, smiling.

"Enjoy it, kid. We can order pizza later tonight. I've invited Rose with Vienna." I nodded. "I'll come home earlier." I smiled.

"Thank you. Really, this means a lot to me." He smiled, taking the hat off. "You should go to work with that." He chuckled.

"No, thank you." I grabbed a piece of the cake with my fingers, getting a look from Luke. "Amelia!" I giggled as I ate the bite. My favorite ice cream cace. Man, I loved my brother. "Hey, Nathanial told me that you haven't been at class for the past week." I nodded, taking another piece and popping off the stool. I grabbed the bag off the floor. "What's going on?"