Chapter Twenty Four

Spinning the stable keys, I pull on a dark green coat over Brandon's shirt and my jeans, and walk out to the living room. Carol sits next to Skye, playing cards. The little girl looks so confused, she keeps glancing at her pile, then up and then back again. I think Carol's trying to teach her poker.

Skye looks up at me and sighs in relief. She registers my outfit and folds her arms in front of her chest. "You're following them, aren't you?"

I nod guiltily, expecting an outburst. She grins. "Can I come?"

"Oh, no honey, sorry. I promised Tara to keep you safe, and you'll be safest here. She'll fuck me up if I take you with me."

Her azure eyes narrow and I gulp. "And what if all this is just a distraction so the bad people can attack here?"

"I see what you're doing here, evil little vampire." I shake a finger at her and ruffle her hair. "You can't emotionally blackmail me. Goodbye Skye and Carol. Stay safe."

With a half-hearted wave, Skye settles back down and pushes the cards away. "I fold."

Wow, she caught up on the terms quickly.

As I'm about to open the door, there's a tug on my coat. Groaning in defeat, I take out a dollar and hand it to her. "I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

"Never." She chirps and runs back to her seat.

Upon reaching the stable behind Leo's huge house, the door creaks open and I can see one beautiful gray mare with a blonde mane. Cooing softly, I tie my shortsword and scabbard to my belt and walk up to her.

The smell of manure and hay reminds me of childhood and my mom. It's a small place, but enough for the horse. Apparently, her name is Rainbow Dash. Cute. Leo has watched My Little Ponies, but not Harry Potter. I don't get this guy.

After brushing Rainbow Dash, I place the blanket and then the saddle carefully; connecting the cinch straps from below. Handing her some sugar cubes, it takes me three tries to get on her before I cave and fetch a stool from the back. Finally I get on her and make her trot till the door. Bending painfully, I lock the stable doors and set off.

I open my phone and type in the address in my GPS, placing the phone strategically, so that it won't fall off even if the horse gallops.

The annoying woman makes stupid comments so I mute her and tighten the saddle. It's time to ride. My heart thuds in excitement and I pat Rainbow Dash, whispering encouraging words in her ears, as she canters to the gate. Carter glares at me.

"Hey." I call out, sheepishly.

"No, miss Kathryn. Last time Mr. Di Vialo lowered my salary when that intruder came in. This time he'll take away my job."

Yikes. "I'm so sorry." I dig up my wallet and hand him a couple of bills. "Here you go."

Slapping his palm to his forehead, he gives me back the money. "You think you can bribe me?"

I sigh. "No. Can I please go?" He shakes his pepper hair. I point behind him in mock shock. "Oh, look, it's Carol." Taking my bait, Carter spins around and I make Rainbow gallop quickly, hearing Carter shout behind me.

***

The trees are a blur, the wind whipping at my face and hair, pushing it out of the way. The horse under me is strong and fast. The reins dig into my palms sure to make red lines on them. I love riding, I always find it easier to be around horses than people.

Curling my fingers in the blonde mane of Rainbow Dash, I breathe in the cold air and scent of wet horse and jasmine flowers. The speed, the movement, the feeling of flying exhilarates me. I shout into the wind and whoop. Clicking my tongue twice, she increases speed. All the anger, the disappointment, the feelings, the worries dissolve into thin air whenever I ride.