11 | don't know when

Rowan 

I couldn't believe it. 

How long had I been living in the same city as my half-brother? 

I wasn't thrilled about it. Nothing good could come out of us being reunited, our hate for each other coursed in our veins just as blood did. We would most likely end up setting the world on fire, with ourselves in it, because we didn't give a fuck. 

I wondered where she ended up. 

The three of us needed to stay the fuck apart. 

I jogged up the steps to the front of my house and slipped inside. I didn't feel any guilt for leaving Kyle back there. The paramedics would handle it. The moment I closed the front door, I instantly covered my nose when I could smell sex in the air. 

Then, I heard the noises. 

I should have been used to but I just wasn't. I kicked off my shoes and ran for the stairs. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two naked bodies on the couch. They were disgusting. I hated that my mom never took her men into her room. 

I slammed the door of my bedroom and allowed myself to breathe. 

For a few seconds, I dug around in my backpack until I found my earbuds. I popped them into my ears and scrolled through my playlist on my phone. Once I found a satisfying song, I spread out on my bed and closed my eyes. 

I must have dozed off because I abruptly woke up to loud noises. My earbuds had fallen out and I blearily glanced at my phone. 

It was 3:21 AM.

I heard glass breaking downstairs and then the shouting began. I exhaled, when the hell would this stop? My mom does this all the time because I'm convinced she's mentally unstable. I almost felt bad for the guys she played. 

Then, I heard police sirens. 

That got me out of bed and I quickly went downstairs to investigate. By that time, my mom and the guy she probably called the cops on, had made it out into the yard. 

Flashing blue and red lights illuminated the windows of the living room.

I stepped out onto the porch. 

My mom was screaming at the top of her lungs, pointing at a half-naked man she had been so passionately fucking hours before. 

Two officers stepped out of their cruiser and they were trying to break up the fight. I watched my Mom take a swing at the guy but she was obviously still intoxicated. 

I pinched the bridge of my nose and sat down on the porch step. 

This would take a while to sort out. 

The next morning, I felt sick. 

I wasn't physically sick, it was the feeling. You know, when you can just sense that something was wrong. My stomach was twisting in knots. I unconsciously knew I needed to see Milo. I decided to skip school today and I headed out for the hospital. 

It was incredibly sunny, almost bright enough to blind me. Every time I passed a car, the glint off their windshield almost burned my retinas. I should have grabbed sunglasses but for once, the warmth of the sun felt good against my skin. 

Maybe I could take Milo out, he'd appreciate getting out for a bit. 

I was preparing myself for a lot of convincing with the doctor and nurses but it all died in my throat when I turned down the hall. Dr. Thandler stood outside of Milo's room, discussing something with both his parents.