Chapter Thirteen

Thank you to everyone who is reading this story so far!
A special thanks to TylerHerondale and heatherdiley for so many nice comments on my chapters :3 Reading what you write makes me smile so much, so thank you <3

I threw on my jacket quickly as I charged down the hallway. Acorn had told me we were taking a trip into the village and I had woken up late! I wasn't used to sleeping in such a comfortable bed and it threw me off.

Throwing myself past servants, I rushed outside and took huge gulps of fresh air, hoping I didn't look as disordered as I felt. That is, until I looked up into the amused eyes of Acorn.

I threw a glare up to the heavens for putting me in such terrible situations, "I'm sorry I'm late," I muttered, trying to flatten my hair.

"It's okay," his horse pawed the ground impatiently. "It just gave us more time to get ready."

I knew he was only being nice, but it made me feel like less of a bother. Even when I got up on a new horse and I heard it huff in annoyance at my weight. I braided the horse's mane as we took off, trying to keep myself busy. I was growing impatient hanging around the castle and waiting for something to happen. It had been an entire week since we had the scare in the library and I barely got to see anyone, save for Tattoo who kept asking when we'd sleep together. I guess no one bothered to pass on the news to her.

A throat cleared beside me and my head shot up, "Huh?"

Acorn chuckled, "I asked if you had been to the village before. Has anyone taken you?"

I shook my head, "No, this is my first time."

"Well," his eyes twinkled, "prepare to be amazed. During the day the red walls shine brightly, but at night with the moon pressing down on it, it turns a blood red and reflects everywhere. You can't tell where one wall ends and the other begins."

"What if there's no moon?" I teased.

"Then there's nothing," he grinned. "It goes so dark, even a candle can't brighten a room."

I shuddered, "That doesn't sound too safe. It sounds like a beacon for demons if you ask me."

Acorn sighed, "It is. It's dangerous, but it was built for its looks, not for its security." He shook his head before a smile reattached itself to his lips, "Look! There it is!" He was like a child excitedly showing his mother something.

Looking through the trees I noticed flashes of red as if someone were shining something straight into my eyes. I squinted and realised that I was looking at a building. Possibly some sort of house considering how quiet it was.

We dismounted and tied our horses to the trees as we made our way out into the village. Acorn was right about the walls. But they weren't made from anything sturdy. Instead of stone which would be hardy, the village looked like it had been carved from a giant gemstone. Even the paths were red and covered in dark red dust. I would hate to walk down it in winter, considering how slippery it already was.

The village was far too quiet and, after seeing the guards draw their weapons, I slid my own sword out from its sheath. I glanced around and muttered, "Not even a bird is making a noise here."

Acorn glanced at me before walking over to one of the buildings and opening the front door and taking a quick step back, coughing loudly. I smelled it before I saw it.

Corpses. So many of them lying, one on top of the other. My eyes watered from the smell of decaying flesh. Acorn made a motion as if he were going to step into the room but I held him back, "You'll get sick." I don't know why I protected him like that. He'll die eventually. At least this way it wouldn't be my fault.

I made my way over to another door and heard a whimper come from inside, "Acorn! Someone's alive in here!" Acorn rushed over and opened the door, disappearing straight into the house. He emerged moments later with a tiny boy in his arms. He would only have been about six or seven, and he was covered in blood and snot.

Reaching out, I wiped the boy's nose so he could breathe more clearly. I heard Acorn ask where his parents were and I dimly recalled the boy whispering the word 'dead' before another cry came out.

One of the guards had opened another area and found villagers hiding out. I saw the worry on Acorn's face and I pitied him. I would hate to be ruling an area where everyone was dying.

He handed the boy to me and I stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. I glanced at him and made small talk, "What's your name?"

"Tim," he whispered.

"Mine is Incent. Come here." I sat down with him on my lap and wiped his newly running nose again. "Open your mouth for me." He did and I gazed inside. His mouth was filled with sores and I could see how red and swollen everything was. We would need to get some liquids into him soon or he might choke on nothing but air. I pulled out my water bottle and told him to open up again, pouring a little bit on his tongue. He swallowed greedily and whimpered for more and I obliged. I couldn't give him too much, however, because I didn't want him to throw it up. The acids of the stomach would hurt him far more than not getting enough water in one go.

I put the bottle away and looked up at Acorn as he came back, "We're taking them back to the castle," he muttered. "Some of the guards are rounding up as many horses as we can find. We can look after them there."

I nodded and patted Tim's hair, "Did you hear that? You get to see the palace?"

The boy gave me a weak smile and I smiled back, trying to send as much happiness through as possible. Once, I was this boy. Not sick, but without parents and love. I didn't want little Tim growing up as cold and pain filled as I was. I rocked him gently and told him to go to sleep.

"You'll feel better when you wake up," I lied, knowing he would probably feel worse. But little Tim shut his eyes trustingly and fell asleep in my arms.

"Well, that solves that," Acorn chuckled. "He's your charge now."

"My what?" I gaped at him.

"You'll be looking after him," he worded it differently. "Oh! I can teach you both how to read!" He looked excited at that prospect.

I shook my head and sighed, "What we need is for him to survive the night, and the rest of these villagers. And pray that we haven't caught their disease."

He reached out and tugged one of my dreadlocks, "You're always such a downer. Just take things as they come instead of worrying about the future."

Standing up, I noticed the rest of the villagers on horses or carts, ready to go up to the castle. I shifted Tim's weight in my arms and went back to my horse. I knew I was always thinking of the worst possible outcome, but it was instinct for me. I wanted to be prepared for anything that could come my way.

While I was getting up on the horse, I noticed a pair of eyes staring out at us from the forest. Well, not us, but straight at Acorn, watching his every move. The eyes were green. The same colour as Acorn's.

Ohhh I hope that interests some people!! Please vote and leave a comment! If you don't know what to write, answer this question: Would you like to live in this world?