𝑽𝑰.

CHAPTER SIX the hallway reunion
——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚♡ ⊹ɞ ———

I WAS WALKING CLOSE TO HOME, when i realized no one was there. no lights were on and john's truck was not in the driveway like i regularly knew it should be. i didn't immediately panic, since the idea of being locked out hadn't occurred to me just yet.

"no." i whispered running to the door, when the realization hit me. it was locked, and i didn't have a key. i tried twisting it a few times, but nothing worked.

i sighed, looking for an open window or a key on the doorframe, like in the movies. i didn't want to walk around town alone, i didn't think that john would like that. he probably had an after-school meeting or something and there was no way to tell me that he wouldn't be able to be there first.

i'll just wait until he comes home, i thought to myself, shaking my head after a few minutes of sitting on the porch.

it could be at least a few hours until he's home. i tried waiting but i only got impatient. i couldn't ask my neighbors. they were an elderly couple who i had never even spoken with once before. they were out on vacation to their summer home in florida anyways, so no luck there.

i could walk to his work.

although it was sort of a ridiculous idea, i think it was the only way to go. it was less than half of a mile down the road and then i could ask him for a key and come back. i felt there would be no point in freezing if it could be "easily"avoided. i nodded my head to myself and started to quickly walk to his place of work. it was closer than i thought it was but i got nervous once i got to the large campus lawn.

i tried to walk along a path that was hidden by trees. not many people where out walking, since i assumed they were all in class or in there dormitories. once i got up to the building, i weaseled my way through the school, to room "222." he made a big deal about his room number at dinner one night. "three of the same numbers!"

i walked in and saw that john was at his desk. he seemed to be about to finish his last class right now. he was looking down at something and i tried my hardest not to scare him. i stood as quietly and as still as i could in the doorway, until he noticed me. once he did he excused himself from the others and they all looked at the door and saw me.

a boy whistled and i almost died of embarrassment right there in my spot. i wished a hole in the ground would open up and would swallow me whole. then they'd have something else to stare at.

he looked at me after dragging me into the hall as fast as he could. "faye, what are you doing here?" he wasn't being harsh at all, but he wanted this to be over fast.

"i got locked out." i spoke quickly, "i know your teaching and i'm really sorry, but i didn't know when you would be back." i whispered since i didn't want him to get into any type of trouble.

"oh, i am terribly sorry," he said pulling a key out of his pocket, "i was going to give you an extra key tonight too," he added with a laugh.

"no, it's all right," i said meekly, trying to smile back, "really."

i felt awkward and out of place. i just wanted to go home to my radio and books.

"thank you, sorry," i said as i quickly walked away. he mumbled out something with a smile and got back to his papers and i made my way out of the door.

a bell near me rang and a few boys shuffled out of their classes. my eyes widened and i tried walking faster. i had to go quickly so no teachers could be out in the hallway and see me standing there. i just looked down and kept walking, until i bumped shoulders with someone. not this again.

"watch where you're going pun-" the boy started, before a shocked reaction covered his face.

"sorry," i quickly said. i kept walking fast. i looked up only a slight bit and practically tried to hurry out of the situation. the boy roughly grabbed my shoulder and turned me around quickly.

"a girl?" some of them said in unison. i was shocked to see a shorter boy with a sharp nose and a small peice of bang in his face looking at me.

"faye?" one of the boys piped up from behind him. i got nervous suddenly. someone here knew me? i thought of dinner the other night and the name john had told me about.

"neil?" i said, noticing the brown hair and eyes. i smiled really big, but tried to hide it instantly.

his brown eyes and his clean cut clothes were facing me once again. this was a moment that was hardly ever even imaginable. the thought of actually seeing him here was a ridiculous circumstance and if i wasn't trying to scram, i definitely would have gone out of my way to stay here and stare at him.

"uh," i froze, looking for a way out, "i just had to pick something up from my uncle john, but i've really got to go now." i spoke quickly, dropping the hint that "mr. keating" was my uncle. i spun on my heel, or at least tried to.

"you don't go here?" the same boy asked. i felt oddly flattered. even though i was in a nerve-racking situation, my confidence boosted slightly.

"no, i'm sorry." i looked over at neil and gave him a grin when the boys let out sighs. i could hear them chattering as i walked out, leaving him. maybe this would be the last time i would ever see him, but i tried not to think that way.

but i will be sure to ask my uncle all about him.

———
✉️: ꒰ 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚
this chapter is short and i don't really like it.