× 4 ×

The end of my shift couldn't have come sooner. I grinned as I approached Vicky's desk, drumming my hands against the wood top to alert her of my presence. "Chocolate cake tomorrow, yeah?" I pointed finger guns at her as I backed toward the exit.

"You'll have to wait and find out like the others." She returned the grin.

Knowing it would be a lot colder outside than it was in my office, I shrugged my blazer back on as I turned around. "See ya," I said, giving her a backhanded wave as I left the building. A gust of bitter wind attacked me as soon as I stepped outside. With a shiver, I wrapped my blazer around my torso and hunched my shoulders to protect myself. The sun clung to the horizon, fighting to continue providing light and warmth to those travelling home from a long day at work. It was doing a terrible job.

My phone had barely made a sound since I picked a symbol. The few notifications I did receive were from social media. I told myself that it was a good thing because, as long as Symbol left me alone, I didn't have to worry about it. I could just wait for my next instruction, get it over and done with, then it would leave me alone for a while and I could continue life as normal. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was fast approaching my impending doom.

Fortunately, I made it home first. The block of flats stuck out like a sore thumb when the spalling brick walls were sandwiched between two modern builds with smooth concrete walls. Although, the people living in those flats were probably paying twice as much as me just to look fancy. My apartment was just fine. Not big, beautiful and surrounded by land like mum's farmhouse. But it was home.

"Shit, it's cold," I muttered, exhaling a misty cloud as I searched my pockets for my keys. With my shaky hand, it took a few attempts to get it in the keyhole and open the door. I shut it before the cold could follow me in, sighing in relief as warmth crept over my body. After taking a moment to appreciate the change of temperature, I wandered over to my letterbox, grabbed the small pile of letters and shuffled through them.

Junk, junk, junk. Ugh, It's been over a year Sean, you gotta move on. Change your address, dude. Important, junk, j-

My train of thought stopped in its tracks as the door flew open, letting in a gust of harsh wind. Then, there she was, making drowning in shopping bags and auburn curls frizzed out of control look good. Time seemed to slow as she turned toward me, her long, kinky hair flying around as she did. The corners of her wide lips stretched up to flash a toothy smile as her rich chocolate eyes found mine. "Alani!" The sweet sound of my name rolling off her tongue gave me a sugar rush.

Time caught up as her hair whipped around and smacked her in the face. I didn't realise my keys slipped out of my grasp until I heard the jingle as they hit the floor. "Let me help you," we said in unison as we rushed to the other's aid. However, as I outstretched my hand for a shopping bag, she reached down to pick up the keys. My eyes widened as she smacked her head right on the knuckle of my index finger.

"Oh, God, I'm so sorry," I apologised as I pulled my hand away.

Leah chuckled. "No, no. That was totally my own fault," she insisted. "Are you alright?"

I resisted the urge to reach out and caress her head. I wanted to ease her pain, no matter how little. "Yeah, yeah. I'm good." I nodded. The wind kicking the front door shut filled what could've been a very awkward silence. I cleared my throat as I bent down and grabbed my keys. "I'll pop these in the flat then help you up. If you like," I said as I climbed back to my feet.

"Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks."

I smiled. "I'll be just a second." I headed to my room fast enough to avoid her waiting too long, but slow enough to avoid it being weird. At least, I hoped so.