Chapter 4

WORLD DOMINATION? OF COURSE. IT'S ALL MOM EVER TALKS ABOUT.THAT...AND REVENGE. TYPICAL EVIL OLD MOM. WELL, HERE WE GO!

Maleficent's tenement apartment sat directly above Bargain Castle. It was dark, dusty, and dirty—just to Maleficent's liking. The colored windowpanes were mismatched and blocked out the sun. Lights in green crystals swayed from the high ceiling. The whole foul place smelled of sulfur.

Maleficent, filing her nails, was seated in her tall green throne chair with her feet propped up. Hermione and her three friends and their three parents sat around the apartment, waiting for Maleficent to explain why she had summoned all of them.

The villains had seen better days. Cruella, with her wild black-and-white hair, wore a ratty, nearly bald black-and-white dog-fur coat, which sported a bejeweled stuffed toy Dalmatian head next to her neck. She stroked it lovingly as if it were alive. 

Jafar, with his trademark mustache and goatee, was rocking a potbelly, a comb-over, and puffy Sansabelt pants.

Evil Queen, a former beauty, pulled at her cosmetically altered face and stared into a mirror. Hermione, Luna, Harry, and Ron feared their parents nonetheless.

"You will go," Maleficent commanded the teens. 

"You will find the Fairy Godmother and you will bring me back her magic wand." She blew on her nails. "Easy peasy."

 "What's in it for us?" asked Hermione.

 "Matching thrones," said Maleficent. "Hers and hers crowns." Ron gestured to his friends.

 "Um, I—I think she meant us." Ignoring him, Maleficent tossed her nail file over her shoulder, stood, and beckoned Hermione to her. 

"It's all about you and me, baby," she said, leaning in close to Hermione. "Do you enjoy watching innocent people suffer?"

"Well, yeah! I mean, who doesn't?" said Hermione.

"Well, then get me that wand! And you and I can see all that and so much more!" said Maleficent.

 "And with that wand and my scepter"—she held up her arms—"I will be able to bend both good and evil to my will!" Evil Queen lowered her mirror. "Our will," she said.

Cruella pointed at Evil Queen and nodded.

"Our will, our will," Maleficent said, trying to save face. She looked at Mal. 

"And if you refuse, you're grounded for the rest of your life, missy," she said firmly.

"What?" cried Hermione, distressed. "Mom!" Maleficent stared into her daughter's eyes. Hermione stared right back at her. The stare intensified. It was a test of power and focus. Hermione and her mom did this every so often. Maleficent always won. 

Hermione tore away her gaze. "Fine, whatever," Hermione said."I won," said Maleficent.

"Malef, relax," said Evil Queen. "You're going to pop a vein and that is a look no one can rock." Cruella cackled. "Did her face just move?" Maleficent asked Cruella, pointing at Evil Queen.

Cruella used her thumb and forefinger to indicate "a little bit."

"Someone alert the media!" said Maleficent."Hilarious," said Evil Queen sarcastically.

"Luna! My little Lun-ette in training." Luna ran over and sat obediently across the table from her mother.

"You just find yourself a prince with a big castle and a mother-in-law wing," said Evil Queen.

"And lots and lots of mirrors," said Luna and her mom in unison. Luna beamed and clasped her hands.

"No laughing," her mother told her.