Cleveland Strangler: Anthony Sowell

Anthony Edward Sowell (August19, 1959 – February 8, 2021) was an American serial killer andrapist known as the Cleveland Strangler. He was convicted in 2011 ofmurdering 11 women whose bodies were discovered at his Cleveland,Ohio home in 2009. After being sentenced to death for the murders,Sowell died in prison from a terminal illness.

Early life

Anthony Edward Sowell was raised inEast Cleveland, Ohio, one of seven children born to single parentClaudia "Gertrude" Garrison. Seven other childrenbelonging to Sowell's sister also lived in the household, havingmoved in after her death following a chronic illness. According toSowell's niece, Leona Davis, Garrison subjected them to physicalabuse while her own children watched from adjacent rooms. In oneincident, Garrison forced Davis to strip naked in front of the otherchildren, then whipped her with electrical cords until she bled.Sowell himself began raping his niece on an almost daily basis fortwo years, starting when she was 10. It was reported by Davis thatthe other males in the household also participated in the rapes.

Military service

On January 24, 1978, at the age of 18,Sowell entered the United States Marine Corps. He attended recruittraining at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island in SouthCarolina, then was further trained as an electrician at Camp Lejeunein North Carolina. On July 13, 1978, he was assigned to the 2ndMarine Aircraft Wing at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, alsoin North Carolina. In 1980, he spent a year overseas with the 3rdForce Service Support Group, then returned to Cherry Point.

Sowell was ordered to Marine Corps BaseCamp Butler in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan on January 20, 1984. A yearlater, he transferred to Camp Pendleton in California for three daysuntil his discharge on January 18, 1985. During his seven-year MarineCorps career, he received a Good Conduct Medal with one service star,a Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, a Certificate of Commendation, aMeritorious Mast, and two Letters of Appreciation.

1989 attack, incarceration, andrelease

In 1989, a woman who was three monthspregnant attempted to leave Sowell's home. He bound her hands andfeet with a tie and belt, then gagged her with a rag. She toldpolice: "He choked me real hard because my body startedtingling. I thought I was going to die." He was chargedwith kidnapping, rape and attempted rape. He pleaded guilty toattempted rape, and served 15 years in prison. He was released in2005.

Sowell worked in a factory until 2007when he began collecting unemployment benefits. Neighbors said heearned a living selling scrap metal. They complained to the healthdepartment of a foul smell in the neighborhood. He was a member ofan online dating service, where he said he was a "master"looking for a submissive person to train.

Lori Frazier, a niece of ClevelandMayor Frank G. Jackson, began a relationship with Sowell shortlyafter his release from prison and resided in his home. She said shesmelled decaying bodies and was told the smell was coming fromSowell's stepmother. When she moved out, she said the smell was fromRay's Sausage Shop, located next door. In a video interview shementions moving out in 2007, but in a published article she is saidto have been living there until 2008. A friend said Frazier stoppedspending time at the home in 2008.