Chapter 6

A chamomile candle flickered on a pastel purple nightstand, shrinking each time the fan blew oxygen towards it. "Live reporting a severe thunderstorm watch until 2:00am PT," a small TV droned in the background. It was a Saturday night, and Lily was sitting on her laptop getting ahead of some assignments. The wind was whipping, even over the music she was listening to.

It was loud and unrelenting, making her unable to think of anything but the rain. As she sat there, the air started to seem heavier than usual. She was breathing it in, but it didn't feel like there was oxygen in it. Why couldn't she get enough? She cleared her throat. Don't cough, it'll make it worse, she begged herself. But the urge was already there. Wheezing softly, she leapt up from the couch to look for a mirror. She needed to check her throat. She needed to make sure it was still open. Oh, god, please still be open. Fumbling for her bedroom light switch, she made her way to the vanity and grabbed a small handheld mirror. She opened as wide as she could and tilted it up to try and see at a good angle. Crap. She had no idea what she was looking at. The shutters cracked down hard on the window frame, causing Lily to jump. God, she hated thunderstorms.

Surrendering, she set the mirror down and opened her phone. She scrolled frantically through her contacts, eyes darting from name to name. A, B, C. Friends who were probably hanging out with their boyfriends. D, E. Random students she helped get an A in English class. F. G. H. I. Coworkers who were a decade older than her and definitely in bed by now. J. She paused. Jacob Day. He would be awake. She didn't know him that well, and their tutoring sessions would definitely be awkward, but she was desperate. Her shaky finger tapped "call" and hunched over her phone as the line rang. "...Hello?" "Jacob?" Lily cringed at what she was about to say. "Hey, everything ok?" "Honestly? Not really." "Why? What's wrong?" "I'm afraid of thunderstorms and I need someone to come over." "Oh, so now you need something from me? Gonna use this as your formal 'I owe you one?'" Lily gulped. Of course he would make a joke about this. Yup, her throat was closing. Her slender fingers grabbed at it appeasingly. "Please come over," she begged silently. She heard the tone in Jacob's voice change. "Okay, okay, I'm coming."

He came quicker than she expected. The second she got the text "here," Lily flung the door open. Jacob stood in the doorway wearing a gray hoodie and hair dampened from the rain. He almost looked scary, eyebrows furrowed as he looked sternly down at her. One cross earring swayed in the shadows.

Lily faced him in Tinkerbell pajamas and a wrinkled tank top, hair unbrushed and shoulders shaking

Lily faced him in Tinkerbell pajamas and a wrinkled tank top, hair unbrushed and shoulders shaking. She had never allowed anyone to see her in this condition, and it had only just then occurred to her how bad she must look.

Jacob was at a loss for words when he saw her. He'd never been in this situation. And all... over a thunderstorm? He didn't want to judge, but he didn't understand what she was so afraid of. He took a careful stride towards her. Lily's lower lip trembled. "I can't breathe," she whispered. "What? Of course you can." She shook her head frantically, eyes darting around aimlessly on the floor. Jacob lifted her chin with his finger. "Look at me." His blue eyes met her watery hazel ones. "Yes you can," he assured her. "You've been breathing this whole time." Without another word, he drew her into a hug, the scent of him overwhelming Lily's senses. She froze in reaction to his touch, the warmth of his fingers wrapping around her small shoulders. God, she's so tense, he thought to himself. "You're just having a panic attack." He felt her nod against his chest. "Do you get them often?" "I used to. All the time." "Do thunderstorms trigger them?" Jacob hoped he was asking the right questions. She seemed so fragile right now. "Not always, but I've always hated them. And I hate going through them alone." "You're not alone," he murmured quickly. Lily heard him repeat it again under his breath while he stroked her hair. As he began to rub her back in wide circles, she let herself relax, leaning into his chest a bit more. She usually hated people touching her. She hated being vulnerable, hated being close to them, all of it. Especially now, as she was wearing a flimsy tank top that meant his hands were touching her bare skin. But in that moment, as Jacob held her firmly in his arms, she felt unusually safe. The thunderstorm seemed less scary now. She took a deep breath, her chest below his but bodies touching. She knew he felt it. "See?" She looked up as he smirked down at her in an 'I-told-you-so' way. It was the first deep breath she'd taken since he got there. Another jolt of thunder clapped outside, and his arms tightened reflexively around her. "How about I make popcorn?" His deep voice whispered into her hair. "Okay," she replied meekly. "You're not afraid of the sound of popcorn, are you?"

A/N: Lily was having a panic attack, in case anyone was confused about what was happening to her. I hope you enjoyed! If you did, please remember to vote :)