Chapter Forty-Seven

Sitting in a car with Lucius, trapped and unable to get away, was stressful as hell. The impact of his proof that his addiction wasn't as severe anymore nor would he kill me if we had sex had hit me hard. All I could scent was him, all I could see was him, and everything about me ached for him and his touch and teeth. It made me rigid - stoutly ignoring him and hide beneath the brim of my cap, trying to wrangle control over whatever the fuck I was feeling.

On one hand, my heart was fluttering at the thought that Lucius did in fact love me, pleasure swaddling me that I'd have to catch myself from daydreaming about what we could do once we were home or trying to run my touch over the length of his fingers. On the other, I was terrified Lucius did in fact love me and he was going to die for it – hunted by witches and vampires and taken from me. It was only a matter of time before he did. Someone knew our secret – someone very dangerous. I didn't know their game, but it made me very aware of the creeping doubt staying alive was sensible. If I was caught out the moment I stepped out of the house, how many more would realise what I was? How long until both the Eventide Court came to our doorstep or the witches burned the city in their rage?

Blood tickled in my mind. Blood and screams and terror.

I had to go to Eva. I needed her help before the Vortigerns were hunted and Lucius' heart torn out.

The logical thought would slam against resistance though. My body wound up, a fierce need a live taking me and fighting back ferociously. I just wanted to shove my head beneath Lucius' chin and just have him surround me, reminding me just what I'd be leaving behind – him and his love.

Lucius thankfully was more focused on his surroundings, his lazy gaze on the road ahead and his mind drifting between paying attention to the quiet road and the bats flocking around us. His mind barely touched me, only the barest shiver of ice trailing up my spine with a quiet caress, but it was more like he was seeking reassurance I was still by his side more than anything. But that didn't stop the brief touch being electric, startling me slightly and making my pulse quicken and becoming increasingly aware of him. It didn't help that his scent was a tease of heated hunger, telling me of his need to have blood and spreading a thought to offer my throat to him I had to constantly bat away and rub at the old bite on my throat. His masculine presence was undeniable, addictive, and I couldn't stop stealing glances. I observed the slicing of car lights flickering over his stern features or the way his hand moved so deftly, the frost beginning to creep over the length of his fingers as hard tension ran through him. I knew why. From the brief touches of his mind, I tasted his desire to protect me and keep me from both the witches and whoever was hunting me down. It was steeled and cold, a male need in him to keep me close and refuse to let me get so much as a scratch, which in turn made my heart clench with fear and my mind to melt into chaotic thoughts that warred with one another.

I couldn't look at him long because of it. He was making me just as selfish as he was.

When we hit the depths of the city, I tensed up and shifted my attention from him. A shiver of danger slid over me, aware I was now out in the open and likely to draw a parasitic witch to a man I wanted to keep safe. The dark and flashes of life made me watch the world from the corner of my eye, tilting my head as I listened for trouble and tightened my muscle in preparation for a fight. Nothing happened though. We got into the heart of the city without any trouble and came to a stop in an underground lot almost entirely abandoned save for seven other cars.

'Stay put.' Lucius instructed and left.

I didn't argue, just watched from the corner of my eye as he flooded away as mist. A flame escaped my mouth. I knew he was going to go feed. He needed to. Hellfire was nasty to heal and fight against, it used up too much strength and sapped away the magic of a sorcerer. He needed more after those wounds and I had to hold my tongue to offer again after he warned me not to.