The Recording

Alver hums the song his dongsaeng sang to him, the content smile on his face never leaving.

Thanks to the recording, he can listen to it anywhere and anytime.

The occasional chuckles he lets out without context probably made him look deranged.

His aunt Tasha chalked it up as the high on winning the war against the White Star and he didn’t bother correcting her.

He plans to hoard his dongsaeng's singing voice as long as he can.

But alas, it’s been a month now and his aunt Tasha had enough of his sudden burst of giggles.

“Okay, what is up with you? Don’t get me wrong, I love that you’re happy but your sporadic chuckles are starting to get creepy.”

He lets out a laugh at that and when his aunt takes a step back, he makes an effort to stop his laughter.

He takes out the recording device instead and starts playing it, urging his aunt to sit down.

There was a myriad of emotions on his aunt's face throughout the song before settling for wonder.

“I see. No wonder you’ve been giddy. Were you hoarding this, my dear nephew?” his aunt teases but he isn’t embarrassed about it.

“Of course.” He tells her easily before continuing, “I’m the first one my dongsaeng ever sang to.”

“Do you have to be smug about it?” his aunt deadpans but he pays it no mind because his instructor just came in. The papers Choi Han carries drop and there is shock painting his face.

“C-Cale-nim sings?”

‘Oh, dear.’

—————

“My student seems to have hidden something important from me.”

“Choi Han, wai—”

“I think my dear student needs his training doubled.”

“Fuck.”

.

“The cookie crown prince is mean.”

“Yeah, so mean.”

“Right, right.”

“Um, kids, I-I didn’t mean to hid—”

“Hmph, if you let us listen to our human singing and give us cookies, we’ll forgive you!”

”Of course!”

.

“I heard some quite concerning news, your majesty.”

“...”

“Why, to think someone dares to hide something regarding my son from me, his father!”

“... I’ll let you listen to it, Duke Henituse.”

.

“And here I thought dark elves hold us dragons in high esteem. But the one here seems to—”

“I’m in the process of making copies, Eruhaben-nim.”

“Leave the task to me, I’ll be in charge of it.”

“... Of course.”

.

“I see the Emperor of Rowoon has grown greedy. To think—”

“Your copy has been delivered already, Tower Master Rosalyn.”

“Well then, I'll excuse myself out, your majesty. Important research to look over, you see.”

“Right...”

.

There have been many instances where everyone called him names for not sharing the treasure that is their young master Cale's singing voice.

So he opted to make copies and just distributed all of them to everyone. His dongsaeng’s displeasure was a small price to pay compared to everyone’s passive-aggressiveness.

And if the others started requesting other songs for Cale to sing, therefore more copies of his dongsaeng singing being made... Well, it wasn’t a calculated move on his part, no.

What do you mean?

END