forty

Mackenzie

While Dane showers, I find my leggings and bra. I pull on the leggings and tuck my bra into my purse. Nothing about last night had turned out like I expected. I'm thrilled. Dane Sawyer kissed me, and he seemed to enjoy it. Wonders never cease.

I lay on Dane's bed and stare at the ceiling, replaying how it felt to have his lips against mine. I wish that it hadn't taken me getting drunk to tell him off. I wish that I had more of a spine, and that I'd been able to call him out earlier.

My thoughts are interrupted when Dane steps out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his waist. My eyes travel from his face, down his well-toned torso, and then to the top of his towel, where I force myself to look back into his eyes. He gives me a knowing smirk and then yanks on a fresh shirt.

"Are you going to stare at me the whole time I change?" He asks as he turns back around to open his dresser.

"Where else am I supposed to look?" I avert my eyes to the ceiling, trying not to blush.

"I just thought you might have a little bit of discretion, instead of just staring and drooling."

"I am not drooling." I insist. Dane laughs.

"I'm changed, Mack. It's safe to look again." I roll my eyes and sit up. Dane has put on jeans, which I find mildly disappointing. I watch as he resituates his arm in his sling.

"How does it feel?" I ask, unable to help myself. I slap myself mentally, I'm going to get myself right back in the same situation as before.

"Not bad." Dane says. "Just annoying." He gives me a dazzling smile. "Ready?"

"Sure."

He slings his backpack over his shoulder and holds his hand out to me. Sliding my fingers through his feels so natural, and he gives my hand a small squeeze as he leads me out of the room.

We make our way downstairs. The living room and kitchen are an absolute mess. There are red solo cups everywhere, and several pizza boxes randomly scattered around on the floor. It smells like beer, and I can see at least three different open bags of chips sitting in various spots around the ground floor.

"Well, well, well." My eyes move to the kitchen bar, where Grant is sitting. His eyes are narrowed as he watches us. Dane moves in front of me, not letting go of my hand. My stomach sinks, thinking about the previous night.

"Morning, Grant." Dane says calmly.

"Chose the shitty option, I see." Grant leans so that he can make eye contact with me. I want to curl up in a ball and die. "You'll regret it, I'm sure. They all do." I hear Dane's breath catch, and his fingers tighten around mine.

"I don't think I'll regret this." I manage. Killer comeback, Mackenzie.

"That's what you think now." Grant smirks. "If you decide Dane isn't up to snuff, I'm always available."

Before I can come up with a reply, Dane starts walking, pulling me along with him. "Fuck off, Grant." He opens the door and gently pushes me through. Grant starts to say something, but Dane slams the door behind us. "Asshole." Dane mutters.

"He's really obsessed with ruining your life." I observe.

"He's just a dick." Dane tells me. "Don't let him get in your head."

I nod, as if it's really that easy. Grant has been in my head for the last week, saying shit about Dane, saying shit about me, slapping me on the ass. I'm tired of it.

We walk back to my place in silence, holding hands. The breeze is chilly, but I'm comforted by the warmth that seems to be radiating from Dane. We're walking so close, I'm surprised that I haven't tripped over him. He gives my hand a tight squeeze as we walk up the steps to my house.

I open the door and step inside. Kate has the heat turned up to a temperature that none of the rest of us would allow if we were home. "Mack?" Kate calls.

"It's me." I reply.

"And Dane!" Dane adds cheerfully.

"Hannah told me the news!" Kate appears at the top of the stairs. I'm not sure exactly how she and Hannah resolved their spat, but they'd seemed to band together during my depressed week to constantly be checking on me. And now apparently, she and Hannah were talking enough that she knew before I got here. "Fucking finally." She adds.

Dane chuckles. "My fault." Dane tells her. "Should've been more on top of my shit."

"Damn straight." Kate sighs. "Can I talk to Mack for a minute alone?"

"Sure thing." Dane disappears around the corner into my bedroom and shuts the door.

Kate shoves her hands into her hoodie pockets as she looks at me. Then she looks at the floor. "I fucking hate this adult shit." She mutters.

I snicker. "Should I just assume you're going to give me a really heartfelt apology and then tell me I'm the best roommate you've ever had?" I ask.

"Can we just go with that?" She asks hopefully. "Please?"

"Sure." I reach out and pull her in for a hug. She dislodges her hands and throws her arms around me.

"I really am sorry, Mack. I should've asked about the key. And I shouldn't have brought you into the middle of things with me and Hannah. I know you hate that."

"I understand. It's easy to get excited about things." I step back, realizing where this may be coming from. "You and Lea are still together, right?"

"Oh dear God yes." Kate laughs. "My dad just talked some sense into me. And Lea understood when I took her key back."

"Okay, that's good. I like her."

"Yeah." Kate sighs. "Also, you should know. Penny and Edwin are dating."

"What?"

"Someone wants to date that prick?" Dane opens my door to ask.

"Eavesdrop much?" Kate asks him.

"Yep." Dane doesn't even look remotely guilty.

"As long as she's happy." I tell Kate. "But I'm not inviting them to movie night."

"Yeah that's probably for the best because she—" Kate sighs. "She's moving out. Said she'll pay the rest of the school years rent."

"Did we miss like— a bunch of signs?" I ask Kate.

"I don't think so. She just up and told me two days ago. No context or anything. Just said that she and Edwin are in love and they're moving in together."

"And we thought you giving Lea a key was fast." I say. Dane laughs.

"Your roommates are wild." Dane adds helpfully.

"Sorry if this was a super awkward time to tell you." Kate looks at me. "Hannah was shocked too. Said she couldn't believe that anyone would like Edwin enough to live with him."

"Well. Movie night with the six of us tomorrow?" I ask.

"Sounds great. I'll text Hannah." Kate gives me a big smile. "Happy to have you looking happy, Mack."

"Thanks, Kate."

"If you're going to have sex please keep the volume down." She adds.

"I'm not talking to you anymore." I tell her and walk into my room as she laughs behind me. Dane has retreated to my bed where he's sprawled out, staring at the ceiling.

"So we're not having sex right now?" He glances at me. I can't help but blush.

"Keep it in your pants." I grab a change of clothes and step back into the hallway so I can shower and change.

Showering is a relief. I'd definitely had beer spilled on me the night before and just felt mildly sticky. I wash my hair and try not to obsess over how Dane had felt pressed against me.

All the sudden, I feel like everything is moving so fast. Not that long ago I didn't even know Dane. Then we'd become friends, he'd gotten injured, we'd been furious at each other, and now we were dating. I rest my forehead against the tile and try not to feel so overwhelmed that I start crying.