❤️ Chapter 2❤️

Evan's POV:

―Cursed eyes.

I wonder when I first began to be despised. Perhaps, it was from the moment I was born. My right eye had the same blue as my mother and father, but for some reason, my right eye was silver.

A child whose right eye possesses a different color will bring disaster――is how the old saying goes.

It’s one thing if it were a big city like the royal capital, but in the remote land where I was born, such old legends still remained.

Because of that, I had been loathed by my parents ever since I was aware. Most likely, if they had a son besides me, I would’ve undoubtedly been killed.

I’ve done nothing wrong, I was simply born――such arguments were futile. For my very birth was unforgivable in and of itself.

These eyes scare even the children who know nothing of the legend. Even though I was told to attend the tea party by my mother, I was feared by and detested by everyone.

Disgusting, scary, monster, I’m cursed. Receiving such heartless words from both my parents and children I’ve never met and being looked upon with cold stares, I ran away from that tea party that day.

This was the just way I was born, and I’m working my hardest, so why? I’m not a monster, I’m not cursed, my right eye’s just a different color.

Nobody understood. I was alone. At this rate, I’ll live the rest of my life feared by everyone and die unwanted and alone.

Lost in the garden I ran off to, I cried quietly as though to hide myself from the world when――suddenly, a miracle happened.

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

I heard a clear and beautiful voice of a girl. I lifted my head and instantly regretted it. Even though she kindly called out to me, if she were to see these eyes, she’ll undoubtedly be creeped out and run away.

However, that wasn’t the case.

“Your eyes are beautiful”

“……Eh?”

Said the girl before my eyes with a bright look on her face.

I was startled. There had only been people who feared these eyes until now.

“……They are not. My eyes are cursed. They bring disaster”

“Really? Oh, but…I think they’re pretty. Your right eye’s diamond and your left eye’s sapphire!”

I thought time had stopped.

Before I noticed, the girl before me went into a panic. I wanted to ask her what’s wrong when I realized that I wouldn’t get my words out amidst my sobs. Oh, I was crying.

“A-Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

“N-No, you’re the only person who wasn’t scared after seeing my…my eyes……so I’m so happy……”

“That’s an exaggeration. I love your eyes. They’re pretty and they’re incredibly cool, don’t you think? Like……ugh, my right eye is aching……! I’d be fine even if you were to say that”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

I tried to laugh, but more tears started spilling.

And when the girl hastily passed me a handkerchief, it made me so happy that I cried even louder.

That was the first act of kindness I had ever received in my life.

Her curly hazel hair sparking under the light of the sun and her transparent amethyst-colored eyes were so beautiful that――I immediately fell in love.

I thought she was an angel who descended upon Earth.

However, that wasn’t the end of the miracle.

“Engage…ment?”

“That’s right. I’m about to be engaged to the prince, but I absolutely hate that idea. I would much rather be engaged to someone like you”

“With…me…?”

“……Sorry for saying something strange. It must be confusing to hear that from a person you suddenly just met”

She had a bitter smile, but during that moment, I had this gut feeling. ――If I were to let this opportunity escape, I’ll regret it for the rest of my life.

“Well, I, I want to marry you! I want to make you my bride!”

“……Eh? Are you serious?”

“Yes! Serious! Come on, we have to tell our mothers!”

“Eh, eeehhhhh?”

I went and grabbed her hand and asked her to announce our engagement with me. It was as if all the misfortune I had experienced up until this point had been settled and repaid with plenty of change.

And that was how I obtained the best, the kindest and the most beautiful fiancee in the world.