the WESTERN FRONT (PART 1 OF 3)

Purchase the entire book on Amazon

THE WESTERN FRONT

part 1 of

3

Archer Garrett

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is a work of fiction.

All of the characters, organizations and events in this novel are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead is entirely coincidental.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Copyright © 2012 Archer Garrett.

All Rights Reserved.

No Part of this book may be reproduced, scanned, copied or distributed in any printed or electronic form without permission.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Acknowledgements:

1 Chron. 29:13

My wife, for her patience during this project.

Nick Pagano at www.thinkdesignblog.com, for the cover artwork.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

About this Book:

This is part 1 of a multipart series; I hope you enjoy my work.

Parts 2 & 3 are available on Amazon.com

Questions and comments can be sent to: acotwf@gmail.com

Visit me on the web: www.acotwf.blogspot.com

Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted.

-Habakkuk 1:4

Prologue

The south Texas sun had long since been replaced by the full harvest moon, but the day’s arid temperatures had not yet fully retreated.

The huge orange disk in the night sky appeared so close that one might reach out and touch it.

The wind had refused to blow for days, amplifying the heat from earlier.

Despite the miserable conditions, they were relieved; this would be their final patrol before heading back to their redoubt on the tip of South Padre Island for a much needed break.

The members of the Texas State Guard’s First Regiment were indeed soldiers, but few of them had real combat experience prior to this.

The Alamo Guards were mostly known for their work in the aftermath of hurricanes and occasional support on the border.

They took their new role in stride, as best they could, but none of the men in the squad had signed up for action like this.

They had all removed their name tapes early in the operation after reports surfaced that some of the soldiers’ families had started receiving death threats; they now communicated strictly by code names.

The three-story adobe-style mansion sitting on two acres just north of Lasara had served as their forward operating base for the past week.

It was surrounded by fallow fields on three sides and the small southwestern town to the south; the view atop the high, flat roof was better than anywhere else for miles.