6

🪸Back to back uploads. Don't skip. Typos 🪸

Sita

"Mm," I roll over.

It's so humid. My skin is sticky.

I swallow and bend my leg while mumbling in my native tongue. My breaths get lighter while I force myself to wake up.

Mud?

My vision sharpens up dramatically as I pull back away from him.

"Hi," he smiles, skin seemingly more warm.

My eyes dance over his skin spots.

"It's hot... I bought you fresh water from your collectors outside," he holds up a container of mine.

They wash up sometimes.

I sit up and tame my hair with my hands, still feeling some sort of pause or delay from him being so close and so kind.

He stares at me waiting for me to respond.

"Why do you need fresh water?" He makes an odd face but keeps a smile.

I open my mouth to speak, but get distracted from the budding feeling under my chest. My throat clicks some.

"Y-yes... thank you," I grab it from him and help myself to his offered hydration.

"Why that is?" He asks curiously.

I put my eyes back on him. He's eagerly, but innocently waiting on an answer. I sigh.

"Am I that fascinating?" I mumble.

"You ask like you truly believe you aren't. You're astonishing," his grin grows.

The way he's looking at me is a bit different from all the other times. It's...

...full of energy and vibrancy.

You care about me? Really?

My lips part at the thoughts and curiosities that invade my mental spaces. I glance at his lips, but decide to look into his green eyes instead. The budding under my chest gets more intense.

What is this?

"...salt can build up in my body; mostly my eyes and gills. These waters are richer in salinity around this time of year," I explain.

His eyes roam all over me.

"Interesting," he gets lost in thought.

"It gets in the corners of my eyes, in my sinuses... it could hurt," I give him more information, just because he loves being informed apparently.

That would make him happy right? It's nice to feel happy.

He laughs; it makes me confused and semi uncomfortable.

"Humans get eye boogers, you get sea salt," he laughs.

One laugh leaves me, then a bunch more follow.

"Yes... I guess so," I respond.

"Oh," he gets excited.

It shocks me and makes me confused.

What? What has happened?

"I picked you these," he reaches beside him and puts a bunch of fruits where I rest.

My eyes widen.

I'm motionless.

"Some of them are ripe and the others aren't that ripe so you can eat some now and have some ripen for you as days pass," he explains.