Chapter 2.5

At fifteen, Miguel entered high school, where it became clear that his coveted title would no longer come easily. In fact it would not come at all—not right away, because Miguel was a freshman. Item 9B of Miguel's cherished, spiral-bound copy of 70th Avenue Public High School Student Council Code of Conduct barred freshmen from running for that highest of offices. This news, delivered courtesy of bold typeface on cheap printer stock, dealt a heavy blow.

The first student council meeting was held under a stained and sagging dropped ceiling at a vast round table: two guided reading tables shoved together, leaving a functionless, doughnut-channeling hole in the middle. As he sat down, Miguel noticed that the boy to his left bore photocopies of an annual schedule, soon to be passed around. It seemed this boy was in the know, so Miguel nudged him with his elbow, accused item 9B with his index finger and asked, "Why is this a rule?"

"It's just the way things have always been done." The boy adjusted his glasses, glanced around the table and began counting the copies before him.

Miguel scoffed. "That doesn't make any sense at all." He did not mean to sound rude, and the boy apparently hadn't taken it that way, tossing Miguel a quick smile and a nod to indicate his sympathy.

Having presided over a previous student body was certainly a leg-up, but Miguel quickly learned, through a whirlwind of cross-table introductions, that he shared his distinction among at least three other students, also incoming freshmen from feeder schools.

The boy to his left remained mostly silent and fully seated during all the socializing, but after a few minutes, he stood, cleared his throat, and everyone became quiet. "Right, so, I'm Daniel Lin. I'm a junior, and I was Student Body Vice President last year. Most of you know that Nicholas, last year's president, is preparing to start his first semester at Rutgers. He will be missed." A few knowing glances were exchanged at this point. "Mr. Lewis had the flu, so I'll be leading things today. Any last words before we get started?"

Someone directly across the table from him raised their hand. "Hi Daniel Lin, I'm Meghan Tuttle." She spoke with the cavalier lilt of someone producing an inside joke—it was obvious they knew each other. "Will you be running for Student Body President this year?"

Miguel felt a warm hand on his shoulder as Daniel Lin leaned coolly to one side. "Of course."

Elections were to be held in less than a month. Miguel knew that the only sensible course of action would be to get an in with Daniel Lin. After that first meeting, Miguel met him at the door and asked how he could maximize his involvement as a freshman, adding, "I can tell that freshmen mostly get kicked around here. Do they ever even hold office?"

There was that sideways smile again, full of charm, and suddenly Miguel understood how Daniel had secured the title of VP as just a sophomore. "Not usually, no."

"But we're technically allowed to run, right? For everything except president?"

They were now alone in the room. Daniel just stood there smiling for a moment, hands in his pockets. "If you want to get more involved, meet me here a day before next week's meeting. Same time. We'll chat about my campaign."

In the days that followed, Miguel could hardly contain his anticipation. He attended church services and activities on Sunday and Wednesday, where his interest was feigned—well enough, he hoped, that his parents wouldn't notice as he pondered over the various roles he might be asked to play. There was, of course, only one role that would satisfy Miguel, and he felt he stood a good chance of convincing Daniel.

70th High's bounds were theoretically finite, and the two boys' eyes met exactly twice between classes that week. Miguel shuddered that they would exchange only quick smiles in these moments—clearly time better spent formulating an unbeatable stratagem. When the moment finally came, after the two got settled under the droopy ceiling, Daniel was candid: "I am in a good position to take top office this year, and I'm not going to stop until I get it. How would you like to help?"