xlv

xlv. Far from Over

Kari leaned against her husband contentedly, a lazy smile on her face as he rubbed circles on her waist. 

Now that everyone was sure that no fights would be breaking out, the crowds had dispersed, leaving the five of them to speak in the light of the hearth. They all listened on as Rollo told the story of a berserker who had lived to a frustrated old age. 

His tone was tinged with regret and acceptance. It reflected uncertainty and longing for the path not taken, of the man he could have been if he had remained a Viking. Had he chosen a different direction. 

Kari could not help but wonder what would have happened had she succumbed to her injury. She would have been reunited with her father and mother for all eternity but she would also be saying goodbye to so much. 

She placed her hand on her abdomen, taking comfort in the child she knew was in there. The child gave her hope that things would get better, maybe not now, but someday. Someday, they would get the life they so desired and have all their ambitions fulfilled. 

"And carry them up to the top of the high cliff and throw them off of it so he could hear for one last time the noise of battle." Rollo concluded his story, drinking from his cup to mask the vulnerability on his face. 

"Ah, you would've loved it, Uncle. The battles were fierce. Great warriors were slain on both sides. Odin must have been happy to take so many back to sup with him in Valhalla." Hvitserk remarked, prideful of all that they had been through. 

"Not you, brother. Not Kari." Ivar reminded him, not wanting to think of the possibility of losing more people close to him.

"No, not us." Hvitserk agreed, nodding as he turned to his sister who smiled at him. He was relieved that she was alright, it only made the victory that much sweeter. 

"Although I did come quite close to it." Kari said, leaning further into Harald as his arm wrapped tighter around her waist. He did not want to accept the fact that he could have lost her. What mattered to him now was that she was safe, they were both safe.

"Are you alright?" Rollo found himself asking. 

"I will be." Kari answered, thinking twice before adding. "Bjorn saved my life." 

"As Ubbe spared mine." Hvitserk nodded, remembering how Ubbe had his blade to his neck, only to attack someone else. He could have ended his life then and there but he didn't. It gave him hope that one day, they might not have to see each other as enemies. 

"Well, they are your brothers after all." Rollo continued as though there was no question about it. He himself could remember the times when he and Ragnar clashed but at the end of the day, they were brothers. 

Harald stiffened beside her, making Kari look up at him in concern. Ivar glanced at him cautiously, not knowing how the man could react. There was another part of him that sympathized with Harald as he remembered his own sin of fratricide, how he still woke up with nightmares of what he did.