5 - Sophie

I'm sitting at my desk, ploughing through my homework. Bea's gone on a date with some mystery guy and it's past 8pm so I can't see Simon.

Edward and I have made steady progress with our duet but we've decided to add a lift. It's safe to say that I am definitely not looking forward to that.

I'm finishing up my essay for English when I hear a small tap on the window. It's raining quite heavily so I pay no attention and get back to my essay.

I hear it again.

This time I swivel around in my chair and look out the window to see a drenched cat on my windowsill tapping to get in. It's against the rules to have animals in the dorms. But the cat's soaked. I could get in serious trouble. The cat has started to meow at me. I give in.

I reach over to the window, unlock it and pull it up as far as it goes and the cat rushes in. I grab my pink towel and creep close to the cat, holding out my hand so he can sniff me.

He looks hesitant but sniffs my hand and I take the opportunity to rub him with the towel, conscious that he's dripping on Bea's bed and she will not be pleased.

He doesn't seem to mind too much that he's now bundled up in a towel like a baby - or a burrito.

The poor thing must be a stray. He looks frightened, wet and hungry.

I decide that I should probably get some food for him so I pick up my pale pink umbrella and my purse and say, "Stay here. Okay? Oh and if Bea comes back, hide." He stares at me blankly so I leave. I need to be quick considering curfew is at 10pm.

I practically jog to the local supermarket as rain plummets down, slapping from impact on the pavement.

As soon as I reach the supermarket I navigate my way to the pet aisle. I scan the shelves for cat food.

Once I find it, I reach up for it but before I can get it I hear an all too familiar deep voice say in surprise, "What are you doing here?"

I turn around and it's none other than Edward. I swear he's everywhere.

"It's a public supermarket, Dumont." I reply.

"A bit too public for my liking. This is Waitrose. I'm surprised someone like you is here." I hear a woman's voice say. Charlotte.

Just my luck. I ignore her and take a couple of cans of cat food.

"You going to eat that?" Charlotte says, disgusted.

"Yeah." I look her dead in the eyes as I say it. She wasn't expecting that. She turns to Edward for backup but he just continues to look at me, an unreadable expression on his face.

I shove past her and Edward and go to the till.

"That'll be £6 please." I recognise that voice. I look up and it's Henry. We grew up together on the same street back when I lived in a house. We became really close and at one point I had a small crush on him. Jesus, how many people am I going to run into in Waitrose?!

"Henry!" I say, my mood much improved.

"Sophie?" He says, shocked.

"Jesus, it's been what like five years?" He nods, grinning. "And you finally grew!" Henry was always known for being short. He's two years older than me but for all the time that I knew him he remained around five foot. Now he towers over my 5'7 self at over 6 foot.

"I know. It only took until I was 16. How's Theo?"

"He got a new job as a carpenter or something-"

"Can we carry on this catchup later? Some of us need to buy things." A deep voice says behind me. Edward. He looks moodier than usual and I just forgot that he was here.