(25) The Undead

ENCHANTED

THE NEXT DAY STARTED THE SAME, but it was clear to Robb that it would not end that way

THE NEXT DAY STARTED THE SAME, but it was clear to Robb that it would not end that way. As they carried on deeper into the north, even his thickest furs couldn't save him from the cold snow nipping at every piece of exposed skin he had.

Robb had no doubt that they were getting close as the storm of ice raged on. All the talking that the men had done the previous day ceased, all distracting thoughts casted out.

This meant Robb's thoughts of Rhaenerys as well, as he had to focus if he wanted to make it back to her alive.

In truth though, no one knew what they were looking for until they found it. And when they did, cold fear gripped Robb's spine as he spotted a pair unnatural blue eyes through the storm.

"HOLD FAST," He called out, immediately unsheathing his sword.

His companions didn't want to know what the young wolf had seen to get him so riled up, but they weren't willing to doubt him and find out themselves as they closed in ranks.

Ser Barris drew his own sword and stood at the very front, Rhaenerys' words echoing in his head as he searched through the harsh snow.

'Come back to me, please. You, Daenerys and Robb are all I have now.'

Ser Barris prided himself on giving the princess the best life he could, and he wasn't about to die before he could see the life he fought for her to have end with a happy ending.

No, he wanted to see the girl who was like a daughter to him again.

So he held fast, even when the most terrifying roar he had ever heard reached his ears.

"ON YOUR LEFT!" Jamie Lannister warned from beside him, the Kingslayer pushing his brother in the middle of the circle.

Ser Barris couldn't see much, but did his best to squint through the storm.

And that's when it came.

A scream—one of their men had been suddenly picked off by the creature and Ser Barris couldn't see which one. He didn't know any of them well enough to recognize their screams, much less the gurgling sound that came after.

The old warrior cringed but held fast as the creature came again.

Robb Stark suddenly left his side as he charged at it. Metal met fur, and the smell of rotting flesh reached Ser Barris' nostrils as the wolf sliced through what he now saw was a bear.

The creature roared at Robb but he had enough sense to fall back before it could swipe at him.

Metal clanked again; Tormund took a swing and the sounds of his axe blended in with Jamie's own assault. They were trying to slice at the bear from both sides to distract it, but the strong creature shook them both off and roared.

It galloped towards the rest of the group and Ser Barris only had one thought in mind as he had no choice but to charge towards the foul creature.

"I am too old for this," He scoffed, before raising his weapon and slicing the bear from teat to stomach.

It was almost effortless the way the old warrior fought, and having faced dragons, he was barely scared of the creature. There were bigger and better things to be scared of and having lived as long as he did, Ser Barris had seen bigger and he has certainly seen better.

The young warriors behind him were speechless as he entered dance with the bear, knowing when to twirl out of the way and knowing when he had to step on its toes.

As it screamed out, it's undying flesh being ripped open, Ser Barris turned to them and glared.

"WELL? ARE YOU GONNA STAND THERE OR ARE YOU GOING TO BLOODY HELP?" He screamed at the group, before slicing the bear again.

It practically took no effort to finish it off by the time Jon Snow drove his sword into the creatures head. He nearly got slashed open for it, but after driving the Valyrian Steel so deep into it's skull, the creature eventually stopped moving and Jon heaved as he yanked his sword out.

"That..." Jamie couldn't even find the words as he struggled to catch his breath. Tyrion looked at creature with wide eyes.

"If there's more where that came," He said breathlessly, "Then we're all fucked."

No one could even argue with the little man as they gathered their barings. All of them except for Ser Barris of course, who passed them all not even breaking a sweat.

"Come on," He grimaced, kneeling beside the dead body of the Brother. "We have to find one before they find us. And burn his body before they have him rip us to shreds."

Jon immediately used his own cloak to set the fire for Thoros, he and Lord Beric staring sadly at the burning man.

"Better ashes than never being able to rest," Robb comforted his brother, before eventually, they all had to move on.

The encounter with the beast had left them uneasy enough as it was. And Jamie was stuck wondering why he couldn't have been a coward or listened to his father.

'The north is no place for southern boys,' His father had told him, 'Much less a place for my heir.'

And Jamie had to agree; Lord Tywin was bloody right.

Jamie wanted nothing more than to be home again, suddenly craving the company of Joffrey over whatever else was out here. At least Joffrey would have a reason for tearing his throat out, whether it be anger or just plain bordem.

At least he was motivated by something. But these...these things?

They wanted to kill Jamie simply because he was born. Because he existed, and they didn't care about titles or lands or money.

This was the one enemy that his father couldn't bride.

And that scared the shit out of Jamie, and Tyrion too. The little man had definitely gotten more than he bargained for.

Okay, maybe not, seeing as it was his idea to come. But he definitely wasn't expecting that, and he most certainly didn't understand how Robb Stark thought any woman was worth dying here for.

"If I ever have the pleasure to live through this," He told Robb loudly as they camped that night, "Then that girl better be the most beautiful woman from Dorne to Castly Rock."

And Tyrion damn sure meant it.