Chapter 3

• • •

• • •

"Marching on cobbled streets 

Oh, sinners, come now."

• • •

A few days had passed since the heist at the Shelby's property. Harry had since dropped off the diary to Leroy and been paid for the job. The news was spreading fast around the streets of Birmingham; an 'infamous thief' they were calling her. Harry couldn't help but chuckle at the rumors. 

At night, a daring thief stole diamonds from under the Blinder's noses. They really couldn't have been further from the truth, harry thought. The problem with all these rumors was they showed the amount of attention the stunt had attracted. Harry had to be careful; the peaky blinders were bound to be searching for her, she concluded.

For the next few days, she kept to the shadows, only adventuring out into the open streets at dark to keep the risk of being spotted by the blinders minimal. 

• • •

Harry leaned against the wall outside the Lorne Pub, lighting a cigarette from a pouch with a lighter, both of which he had just pickpocketed from a drunk gentleman.

"That's a nice lighter you've got there," A voice appeared from the right of Harry, who was quick to turn, seeing a well-dressed young man with a toothpick between his lips. Harry looked up, noting a razor blade was poking out slightly from under his flat cap. 

Harry steadied her breath, talking in a tone slightly deeper. "It was a gift from my father," She lied easily. There was no reason to suspect he knew who Harry was, but he soon became aware of the two other men standing behind, wearing matching suits. 

Harry pushed off the wall standing as tall as she could, dropping the cigarette to the ground while turning to face the three men.

"Oh yeah, and who's your father then?" he questioned Harry; it was apparent now they recognized her. Heart beating fast in her chest, she breathed in before replying. 

"Oh, he's just over there," she stated, pointing behind the men causing them to turn and look. How gullible, she chuckled in her head as she wasted no time making a run for it.

"Oi!" the leading man shouted after her, hot on her tail.

There was nothing but darkness ahead of her, no streetlamps, but Harry didn't need them; she had known these alleyways since she was born.

She couldn't tell if more than three men were chasing her as they raced after her, their feet pounding on the ground.

The wind ruffled her curls as she grabbed onto her hat to avoid losing it, as she ran as fast as she could, dodging the drunks, rounding the corner down another alleyway, and into a back street.

A dead end. Many would be shitting themselves in this situation, but Harry had other plans. She ran and jumped at the wall, pushing her foot into the wall to give her an extra boost, grabbing ahold of the window ledge above. She pulled herself up and continued climbing onto the roof just as the Blinders rounded the corner. 

She let out a small sigh of relief and listened to the men below: "Where the hell did he go? He went this way; I don't understand!" He shouted in frustration, chucking his cap at the floor. Harry peered over the edge seeing the oldest man walk up to the other and pat his shoulder.

"Better luck next time, Johnny boy!" He said with a chuckle before walking off.

"Ugh, Tommy's going to be mad," He sighed before following the other man away out of the alley.