Chapter 2: First steps

I woke up this morning with only a few hours of sleep. I couldn't sleep the whole time because I was always thinking about Andrew. We don't even know each other for 24 hours and he already has such a huge impact on me. And when I finally fell asleep, I had a dream of what we'd look like in the future:

We were in front of an Adoption Center. Before we walked in, we looked each other in the eyes and I gave him a small peck on the lips, then we walked in hand in hand.

After some time I fell in love with a cute one year old girl, also a Coyote like Andrew. He agreed happily and then we signed the papers and we were good to go.

Because I was the manager of a pretty fancy restaurant, I wasn't home often, that's why Andrew, my now husband, was home when I wasn't to look after her, feed her, etc, etc.

After a hard day of work, I came home to see Andrew humming a soothing song to make her fall asleep.

Then I woke up. When I sat up my bed, I felt that something was off, as if my ears are sore, but i brushed that off. Before I did my morning routine, I overthought my dream. If everything goes the right way, it may happen. But my pessimistic mind overthought that too much, so my mood is on the floor. As always.

After I did my morning routine I got out and began walking to school. Alone of course. Soon enough somebody caught up with me and put his paw on my shoulder. I flinched and backed away, only to see that it was Andrew.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again. I HATE physical touch."

Andrew looked at me as if he's seen a person for the first time. "You have to get used to that. Physical touch is normal and you don't have to be scared."

"whatever" I said rolling my eyes.

-------------------------TimeSkip-------------------------

School ended now. Finally!! I was walking with Andrew, until I realized that I wanted to see how smoking is. Last Time I walked to school alone, I found an unopened pack of cigarettes, so I picked it up and wanted to throw it away, but my mind stopped me.

I pulled out the still unopened package of cigarettes and opened it. That's when I looked at Andrew, who looked at me like I was crazy.

"What?" I asked.

"No." He shook his head, still looking at me.

"Can I at least try one in my life?"

He scoffed: "Fine. But trust me. It is disgusting, I've already tried one time."

After that, I got one cigarette out of the package and put the packge back to my pocket. I grabbed a lighter of my other pocket, lit up the cigarette and put it in my mouth, breathed in, and beathed out. It felt.. kind of.. nice.

"It feels good", I say. Andrew's expression went from a 'I-don't-accept-it' face to a 'Are you a psycho?!' one.

"You've got to be kidding me."

"No, I'm serious. It feels nice." That's when he snapped. He slapped my paw so the cigarette fell to the ground. Before I could pick it up again, he stepped on it.

"And why did you do that?" I asked, waving the package nearly completely filled with cigarettes in front of him. That was a mistake. He also slapped the package away and picked it up much faster than me, then threw It into the garbage bin next to us.

"I'm doing that for your own good."

"Ugh", I scoffed.

We went on walking and were nearly at home. Today is not a cool day, because it's Johnny's (aka my little brother) birthday. I hate his birthdays, because he gets more gifts than I ever have got. I just wish I could live with my father, who, at least, wasn't so ignorant and so blind like my mom and my stepdad. Andrew tapped on my shoulder, bringing me out of my trance.

"What are you thinking about? You look overwhelmed and stressed", Andrew asked, concerned.

"It's nothing..", I said, looking away.

"Is something happening at home?" I just nodded.

"What happens? Please tell me." We were now standing in front of the driveway of my home. There were balloons and signs that say 'Happy Birthday' everywhere.

"C- can I maybe c- come over to your home? I- I don't wanna be here." I said, trying to hold back my tears.

"Uhm, okay." He said. I went over to his house without telling my mother or my stepdad where I am. I mean, they won't care when their golden child has his birthday.

We got inside and I followed him up to his room. His room is very nice made, the walls are a light grey, his bed is black, his closet is a darker grey and his desk is plain white. Everything looks so perfect in his room, comparing to mine, mine looks as if someone bombarded it.

"Wow" I said, stunned by how nice it is and how big it is.

"Anyways, why didn't you want to go to your home? Looked like someone has birthday?" He asked, still confused why my mood suddenly changed. I took a deep breath in and started explaining:

"It's my little brother's birthday and I hate him. No, I hate him and my mom and stepfather! Always when it's his birthday, they throw him a huge party and he get's more gifts than I got all together! after he blew out his candles on his birthday cake, he, my mother and my stepdad, humiliate me telling that I have to go to my room, because I don't deserve any crumb of his cake. They treat me like trash!" The last sentence I nearly screamed, because I hate how much they love to humiliate me. I started to cry while I remember what they said to me. Andrew came up to me, putting his paw under my chin, lifting it to see my miserable face. He looked at me with concerned eyes but also... a hint of hesitance?

That's when I felt his lips on mine. He kissed me.