1. The Lyre and the Boy

My fingers drew the length of the lyre. I was bored to say the least. The bowl of grapes and bread was now empty, and the cold marble room felt hollow and stiff. I longed to join the other boys in the dining hall, peeling fig skins while sharing foolish stories, yet I was trapped here, waiting for a boy.

Footsteps echoed through the walls of the throne room. I drew a breath of impatience and lay on a bench, plucking at the lyre, and watched as he entered the room.

His hair was curled and black, like burnt laurel leaves, but duller, more ashen. His face was pale and scared, and his molten eyes glanced back and forth like a wild man's. A lingering sense of recognition flared and then disappeared just as suddenly. I shook it off and regarded him instead. He watched me with a look of disgust and fear- a former prince I guessed, unused to be looked down upon. His arrogance only added to my amusement, but I appeared not to notice, and strummed instead against the strings of the lyre.

I let a cold silence ensue for a moment, enjoying this toying with my position of power. The sounds of laughter rang in the halls. The dripping of honey slapped against wooden bowls.

"Name?" I asked, keeping my eyes on my instrument.

My question was met with silence, and I observed him coldly. It would not take him long to learn his place. He was but my age, his build scrawny and lean, his hands curled in fists at his side.

"Name?" I asked again, more impatient. My fingers rested a hair's width from the lyre.

"Patroclus." He answered finally, his eyes trained on his feet.

...