1.1

OH THE COUSINS AIR..

It was so calming. The one think Delilah Parker needed.

The struggles of finding colleges and applying for one's out of state she knew she needed to get or she wouldn't get her dream job, to say the least, has been stressful. It was unbelievable the amount of work she still has to do even in her summer.

But right now, all she was focused on was having the perfect summer with the people she loves the most.

She was riding in her car with her twin brother in the front, and her mom in the back.

At this point they had just pulled into the gas station in Cousins, the home of their lake house they've owned since before the twins were born.

"you two run in and get whatever you want i'll wait in the car."
"thanks mama." delilah replied.

her and her brother mason ran inside and giggled around the aisles trying to find treats that peaked their interest.

delilah gasped, "mason, look at these flowers. aren't they beautiful? ooo and the flower crown."
"yes they are, flower girl." he placed one on her head.
"take the bouquet we'll give it to Susanna."

she picked out the healthiest bouquet of flowers and took them to the front with the treats her brother gathered and went to the register.

the teenage boy working the register looked at her and smirked.

"well hello, little lady. this all?"
"yeah, it should be."
"alright. it'll be 43.54, and your number."
"dude, leave her the fuck alone." her brother said handing the kid 45 dollars in cash. "keep the change."

mason has always been overprotective of his little sister. yeah, he was only older than her by a few minutes, but after their dad died on their birthday she'd always been super vulnerable. she doesn't know when to talk for herself, or how to cope with her anxiety.

it's progressively gotten worse since her college application journey started, and mason and alice, the twins' mom, has made everyone aware just in case an anxiety attack or sudden burst of emotion ever happens in front of them.

delilah had always suffered from anxiety but when her dad died on her birthday it had only gotten worse.

he was rushing to the beach house, that they own next door to the fishers, from work after he had been worked overtime. he almost made it to say happy birthday to the twins before they went to bed, but a drunk driver had ran a red light and hit him, instantly taking his life.

delilah had always put the fault on her shoulders.

mason had gotten past the 'it's my fault' stage, but delilah never did. everyone knew she still thinks it's her fault. it was her birthday after all.

mason never complained if their dad couldn't come over to celebrate the twins' birthdays, but delilah always did, especially that year because he had missed the one the year before.

this was all about 5 years ago; the twins were turning 13. this year they're turning 18.

the twins took their bags from the gas station counter and got in the car. mason had started playing taylor swift because he knew it was his sister's favorite.