Back Where We Started

My darlings,

Let me know in the comments, after you read this chapter, how far we (collectively) want to go in the next chapter? I can stay on the 'safe' side, like in my previous stories. I can still hint and allude enough so that those who know will know ;) Alternatively, I can go all in, and then the story will get an M rating and I can stop being equivocal and directly (yet, hopefully tastefully) go into details.

Love,

K. xx

P.S. I find it interesting that Anya and Klaus might end up that couple that is just too hot for a non-smutty story :D And it all started so innocently! LOL I think maybe they (and us) have waited for too long, and now they just combusted :D

***

They chatted about their benefactor's music, but Anya didn't understand much out of the woman's explanation. Anya had never been particularly interested in music, even when married to Dom. She'd enjoyed watching him perform, but otherwise she wouldn't listen to the sort of the indie rock that he'd played then. To think of it, she wouldn't be able to remember when it was the last time that she'd intentionally listened to any sort of music.

Klaus seemed to be able to sustain a conversation regarding The Stranglers and something called 'proto-punk', and he even elicited a couple of giggles out of the other woman. Given, considering how charismatic the man was, he'd probably be able to have a pleasant and engaging conversation with an astrophysicist.

"Darling," Klaus addressed Anya - and she jolted out of her thoughts.

She realised that he must have called her several times by now.

"Yeah, sorry, I was–" Anya vaguely waved her hand in the air. "The rain seems to have stopped," she pointed out, leaning to the window to look outside. "And I'm worried we're holding you back," she said to the one called Ulla.

As much as Anya appreciated the woman's kindness - and a chance to stay in a dry place - she herself hated being late so much that she wouldn't wish it upon anyone, especially a person who'd claimed to feel the same earlier.

"We should probably try to walk," Klaus said, and Anya nodded.

"Are you sure you don't want to give my dinosaur a go?" the musician asked and patted the wheel. "I can drive slowly."

Klaus gave out a pensive hum, and then shook his head. "I don't think I'll be able to," he said and smiled at the young woman. "It's an emotional day. It'll be way too easy to trigger me today. And you need to get into the right mindset for your performance. Thank you for the offer, nonetheless. And for your consideration."

The woman laughed. "Wow, you're one of them 'woke' ones, aren't you? I can't say I've ever met a man with that much emotional awareness before."

She glanced down at her wrist again, and Anya and Klaus said their goodbyes and got out of the car. The Honda coughed and rasped, but started; and soon both cars were gone.

"She's in for a surprise," Klaus drew out, and Anya gave him a confused look. He picked up her hand and intertwined their fingers again. "She's a redhead, did you notice?" Anya shook her head. He chuckled cheekily. "A redhead who's not used to considerate men, on her way to Fleckney? That might just be the beginning of an interesting story."

"Are you referring to the fact that the men in your family are unnaturally obsessed with gingers?" Anya asked.

She hoped that he wouldn't notice the cattish intonation hiding in her voice - but, of course, he did. And judging by the twinkling in his eyes and the slightly hiked up eyebrow, he could see right through her. Anya pretended to focus on carefully manoeuvring around the puddles on the road.