Thirty-Five

Satisfied and content, Katerina curled into the sheets, the silk gliding over her luscious pale skin. The chill of the air was no bother when she had Alexander- her husband- in bed with her, willing to hold her at a second's notice.

He had truly been restraining himself in the months before their wedding, because now on their wedding night, he refused to let her go. The second he carried her through the chamber door, he tossed her on the bed and dove beneath her skirt, tearing through her undergarments.

He feasted like a starving man and showered her with kisses, some leaving very scandalous marks upon her breasts and thighs. Alexander entered her like a savage beast, only stopping when she begged him to slow down, yet eagerly obeying when she commanded for him to move faster.

They were married.

Officially.

Their union had been consummated which they would have to prove with the blood on the sheets that would be provided in the morning and hung from the windowsill. She rolled her eyes at the silliness of it all.

Married.

The words kept bouncing around in her head and she smiled giddily at the thought. So many things tried to tear them apart but in the end, God wanted them to be together against all odds.

Despite their sins, despite their pasts, they were both given a chance at life and love. Real love.

But, would God forgive her for the death of her father? That was a sin far beyond any other.

Katerina harbored a great amount of guilt for what she had done despite the rejoicing amongst the kingdoms once King Paul's reign came to an end. She often wondered if they knew it was truly her who had stuck the knife through his neck and not her husband, would they feel the same?

The answer would be no. The rules were different and this was the game. Alexander took the blame to protect her, not for the benefits the King's death offered him. She knew he would have killed her father himself had he been given the chance but not for his power.

She knew all he wanted was to have his wife back.

She reached out her hand and placed it on his arm, his breathing deep and slow as he slept. He tired himself out nearly immediately after their fun and was practically snoring on top of her.

"I love you." She whispered, her fingers creeping up his back and through his messy hair, smiling at the groan he elicited in his sleep. She wanted to laugh but kept it in, afraid she would disturb him.

He was scary and he was very intimidating. She knew he had done wrong by her in many ways, yet she was so grateful the ache between her thighs was his doing and no one else's. She thought back on all the moments when she feared him and it made her nearly giddy. Like she was a young girl seeing her crush at the market- not that she knew what that felt like but she assumed it would be similar to this.

He had righted his many wrongs and saved her in her most desperate time of need, not because he wanted to be king, but because he wanted to save her.

Queen Katerina closed her eyes, relishing in the warmth of her husband's arms cradling her through the night. The faint popping of the fireplace lulled her to sleep but could not keep the nightmares at bay.

Massive oak trees sprawled for miles beneath the moonlit sky. Each one had blinking lights weaving through the branches, the work of fireflies creating a dance in the night.

The treetops nearly blocked out the entire night sky, leaving the forest floor darkened. Each step Katerina took was matched with the crunch of leaves and the shuffle of something in a nearby bush.