Chapter 18

I didn't know where I was going, only that I needed to get out of there. Perseus' words reverberated in my mind as I moved through the moonlit forest, each one like barbs sinking into my skin: mindless beast, monster.

I may have been a monster, but he was wrong about me being emotionless. I felt things as much as he did. I felt the stabbing pains of guilt and shame every time my curse killed another mortal, felt the crushing wright of my own loneliness whenever I missed my mother.

At least I didn't choose to kill. My curse made that choice for me. Perseus, though, killed quite willingly with that sword of his. At the thought of him, my anger at his words surged, but also my hurt. I hated to acknowledge that his words had hurt me, but I also couldn't deny it. Though I had always known how he viewed me as my true self, it was usually so easy to ignore when I was with him. He laughed easily, he talked with me. He wove his loom and smiled when he heard me sing. This evening had been a sharp reminder: don't get used to any of it, for he'd kill you in a heartbeat if he knew who you were.

The moon was high and full, brightening my path through the forest in spite of the darkness. I stayed mired in my thoughts, letting my feet carry me wherever they would without giving it a thought. Unconsciously, they took a sharp left, carrying me out of the forest and up the slopes of the mountainside. I should have known my heart would yearn to be in the garden, that place of beauty and healing. As soon as I stepped beneath the branches of the cypress trees, my body instinctively relaxed.

I walked among the plants and flowers, admiring the evening primroses and moon lilies, those flowers that only showed their blossoms at night. I inhaled the sweet fragrance of them, letting it soothe me. My worries and fears didn't disappear, but I felt just a bit better. All of the leaves and branches rustled in the evening wind. It will be alright, they seemed to whisper to me. Everything will be fine.

The breeze brought with it the sharp scent of salt down from the sea, filling my nose with the strong smell. I lifted my head, gazing down toward the shore. The full moon reflected off of the black waves, casting the imprint of its shining image upon the water. I idly wondered if Artemis would be present with the full moon, the symbol of the maiden goddess and her hunt. I suspected that her huntresses passed through the woods of Sarpedon on rare occasions, chasing the game there. I had yet to come across them myself, and I never intended too. Would they hunt me too, I sometimes wondered, if we ever did cross paths?

The waves lapped at the shore rhythmically as my eyes scanned the beach, a now familiar habit. No ships marked the horizon, no bright white sails marred the darkness of the night. Perseus' men were not yet here. I still had more time.

But not much, a small voice warned me. Two months have already passed. They will come soon.

I tensed, but didn't move my gaze away from the sea.

They would come and Perseus would go. That would be the end of it all, and I would be safe on my island once again. Safe and alone.

The sound of a snapping twig startled me, and I whipped around, my snakes rising in defense and baring their fangs.

Through the brush, Perseus carefully used his staff to test the ground in front of him and make his way forward. He had nearly stumbled, but caught himself. The moonlight reflected in his eyes as he gazed around the garden blindly- searching for me, I realized belatedly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, alerting him of my location. His gaze snapped toward me and the spot where I was kneeling among the flowers. He paused for a moment, then started forward in my direction

I was mildly surprised he had found his way up here alone. Of course, by now he was able to walk from the temple to the garden without any of my help, but I had still always been with him, walking by his side ready to guide him. I struggled to suppress the proud, happy feeling that welled up inside at seeing his accomplishment- I was still angry at him and I was not going to forget his words so easily.