Chapter 6

•••
She gurgles up blood, and as it drips down her cheek, her bloodstained lips stretch into a painful and forced smile. She was trying to reassure me. Like it was okay for her to die.

"No, you're fine- you- you'll be fine. I-it's gonna be okay."

I sniffle, and choke on a sob, laying her head in my lap, stroking her hair. She looks up at me with a pitying gaze.

I shake my head at her stare.

"I'm not gonna be o-okay. But you will be."

Tears start to leak out of her eyes because even she knows that's not true. I won't be alright, I won't be able to get over this.

I can't lose her. She's my big sister.

"You can have a life. Fall in love, get married, have a f-family."

She starts sobbing. And I know it's because that's all she's ever wanted. She wanted a family. She wanted a great love with a husband that would love her with everything he had. She wanted a ton of kids.

She wanted to live.

But that option was taken from her.

"No, we will. I- I won't let you die. Ju-just hold on, the ambulance with be h-here soon." Tears rolling down my face.

•••

I woke up with a gasp.

I turn my head a look at Jeremy, making sure I didn't wake him up. He lays there peacefully sleeping, snoring like a truck.

I sigh as my thoughts go to her. My sister. River.

We were five years apart. She would watch over me and make sure I was alright. She would baby me and treat me like a kid even when I was in high school. River was like the parent we should have had. Our real parents were too busy worrying about themselves and making sure their reputations weren't sullied by having children out of wedlock to even think about us.

I had River to take care of me, to make sure I grew up happy. But River... she didn't have anyone.

That was why she always wanted to have a family. To love them the way she was never loved, to raise her children the way she wanted to be raised, with love and affection.

I was in college when it happened. I was visiting Rivers new apartment, and we were having dinner. Chinese, her favorite fast food.

We were talking about her new boyfriend, and I could tell she really loved him. Her eyes were sparkling. I was teasing her about it when the door busted open.

Three men came in, dressed in black.

If you haven't guessed they were robbers.

They saw us and aimed a gun at me. I was so scared I just raised my hands in surrender trembling.

My sister though, she was so brave. She told them to take anything they wanted and that we'll do anything they say as long as they lower the weapon.

They lowered the weapon and started grabbing things. The tv, her purse, her laptop, anything they saw.

When they got everything they wanted they paused for a moment and looked at each other before looking at us. Like they were having a silent conversation about us.

The tall one with a Brooklyn accent pulled out a gun and shot her in the chest.

She wasn't even doing anything. She was just watching them steal her shit. Stuff that she worked hard for.

When I saw her drop to the floor I panicked and ran to her. I guess they took that chance to run, I don't know.

She died that day. After that my parents decided they wanted their roles back. Forced me to become a cop because 'it's the perfect chance to protect people like I couldn't protect my sister'. That's what they told everyone I wanted.