T H I R T E E N

The small town of Maybella had undergone a dark gloomy day today, casting thick blankets of pale sullen clouds over the lush wondrous trees as well as the old architecture

I'm sure the weather was signaling the impending downpour that would soon come upon us so I quickly made my way back home the second the school bell rang.

I rushed not because I hated the rain, but because I feared that my walk home would be hindered by it, rendering me completely powerless to the possibility of getting beat by my father like usual.

It's quite odd how I used to love playing in the rain, meeting my head up at the tiny droplets that tickled my face and had soaked my clothes until it was weighted and damp. It was invigorating only when I used to be happy, but since my constant worries and doubts seemed to have shifted my perception of it, now I want nothing to do with it.

All of a sudden, a flurry of approaching voices suddenly presented itself behind me, intertwining with the sound of a car's engine that undoubtedly broke my peace.

It was the usual boys following me to wreak havoc for the third time this week. The pain from yesterday's beating is still fresh in my mind, and yet here they are about to make me go through it all over again.

"Awh shit, it's Limpy!"
"Hey, pull up beside him real quick."
"The fuck is that faggot wearing?"

I silent cursed to myself the second they got close enough to overpower my Walkman's music with their cruel words.

"Hey Limpy." Eric snickers out before being joined in by the other boys.

"Hey, he's talking to you dumbass!" Hudson impatiently yelled out.

"He's probably playing deaf again like he always does." Joshua adds with a scoff.

I continued to stall a reply as their presence alone had negatively began to seep its impact on both my mind and body.

"Joshua here finally got his license, do you want a ride?" Eric yells out from the backseat while maintaining a mischievous tone, causing me to meekly glance at their direction for only a second just to see all three of the boys sitting comfortably in what looked like a new car.

"Dude fuck that-" Joshua clicked his mouth out of clear disgust and annoyance before gaining a light nudge on the shoulder from Eric.

"N-No thank you." I nervously responded before speeding up the pace of my walking which undoubtedly caused the ache in my legs to become even worse.

The car sped up just enough to keep up and follow me. "Oh come on, don't you wanna help us celebrate by being our first passenger princess?" Eric devilishly insists while holding back the temptation to laugh. "It's definitely a whole lot better than having to limp home like a mangy dog don't you think?" He ends before finally bursting into a deep chuckle.