CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Mason

I've never seen Mallory that angry.

Scratch that. I've never seen Mallory that angry, and not been at the receiving end of her rage. She was practically vibrating with it. I'd be lying if I said it didn't get me a little hot under the collar; having to physically hold her back from decimating that Celeste woman. Plus, we still haven't found out why she's dressed like a 90s female rap star.

On another note, I couldn't be prouder of the kids. They stood up for themselves. Their execution needs work, but they got their points across. I don't think Julian Heathrow will be stealing from Blake ever again. And I know Payton Arlington will never get Aidan or Grace's forgiveness.

Grace, in particular, can go from zero to excommunicated in the blink of an eye. We don't have to worry about her crushing on Aidan's best friend any longer. She couldn't even look at him without fire dancing in her irises. I wanted to be upset about the Instagram post, but it was more important to be the cool and calm to their belligerence.

Jesus, someone in this family needs to keep their head.

I sling Aidan's training bag over my shoulder, slamming his locker closed. Mallory took Blake to urgent care, wanting to be sure he didn't have a concussion. Grace and Aidan are waiting in my truck, seeing as they aren't allowed on campus for the next seven days.

I pause at the end of the empty hall, listening to a vaguely familiar voice.

"You gonna give me my phone back now? I think you've done enough damage."

I peer around the corner, surprised to see Payton and his girlfriend, Olivia something or other. He holds his hand out, almost snarling at her. Olivia brushes her shiny hair over her shoulder, handing him a cell phone.

"Don't look so fucking smug, Liv," Payton growls, dropping his phone into the pocket of his slacks.

"You lost your best friend and his sister. And you won't be playing in the finals." Olivia leans back against a locker, dusting nonexistent lint off her pleated skirt. "You got what you deserve. Next time, think twice before crossing me."

Payton's jaw twitches. "I won't even think once about you."

Olivia bristles but recovers quickly. "What was I, then?"

"A momentary distraction."

Payton's bruised face gets another slap, this one echoing off the stone walls. His head whips around, but again, he doesn't fight back. He licks his lips, glare hardening.

"You done?" he asks, his voice raspy.

Olivia flips him off, sauntering in the opposite direction. "Oh, I am so done."

Before I can make myself scarce, Payton is walking straight toward me. He grunts, slinging his backpack over a shoulder. When he spots me, his heels skid against the floor. He glances once behind him, then locks his stare with mine.

"You're not going to tell Aidan?" I ask, studying Payton in a new light. Olivia obviously stole his phone and made the post on Instagram. She's upset with him about something, but Payton isn't defending himself. "Seems as though none of this is your fault."

Payton shrugs, running his tongue over his teeth. "I'd rather him hate me for this than..."

"Grace," I finish for him, the puzzle pieces fitting together. "How long have you had a crush on her?"

"Doesn't matter. She hates me. There's no point in trying to redeem myself."

"Why not?" I ask, although I should be concerned that he's attracted to my daughter.