Chapter 2

24 Hours Ago

Mmm.

Warmth envelops me, skillfully convincing me the world has been officially righted of all its wrongs. Maybe the rude woman at Dale's Market has joined a convent? Perhaps Penn Station doesn't smell like urine anymore? Or maybe, just maybe, the Israel-Palestine conflict has once and for all been resolved?

Most likely, all of the above.

My thoughts pause briefly when smoothness touches my lips, and saltiness invades my senses. If the anticipation of what now resides on my tongue righted all wrongs, then the taste alone forces me to believe cancer is now cured.

My eyelids lift partially, and I take in my dimly lit, candle-clad surroundings. The red cabernet swirls over my tongue with the heavenly flavors.

"How was it?" a husky voice calls out to me.

"Mmm, you really know how to take care of a woman." I smile coyly and look back at the large burly man that's standing next to me.

The man beams as a hint of relief splashes across his face. "Excellent! That's just what we're here for," he says in a voice that turns out to be...not husky.

I blink rapidly a few times, pulling myself out of the trance, and then look away from the round man. I set my glass down and slowly release the breath I'm holding. The man continues, "Anything else we can get for you, Miss? More wine perhaps? Also, dessert is on the house and should be coming out shortly. Also, I love you..." The man's eyes grow wide before continuing, "'r blouse. I love your blouse."

"Oh, thank you that's very kind. Sure, I'll take another glass of whatever the sommelier recommends goes well with the dessert."

The server retains his wide smile and bows a little too dramatically. He slowly backs away while still semi bowing, and then quickly turns around to head toward the back, briskly attending to other tables in the process.

I wonder if he knows. There's no way.

I take out my phone and begin rapidly typing away on my notes app. This is the first time in a long time that an article I'm planning to write won't completely demoralize an aspiring chef and their staff. And who would've thought it was all by chance? If my boss hadn't assigned me to find a place at random, then I would have never wound up here.

How have I not found this place before?

As I type out my notes, giddy with excitement, I go through my mental checklist: The ambiance? So beautiful it would impress royalty. The service? So caring, they would likely send flowers if my cat sneezed-

An incoming call invades my screen. With a quick decline and swipe back toward my message app, I furrow my brows.

Gemma: Can't talk. I'm working.

Carter: Oh yes! Qq though - we still on for today?

Gemma: Yes. Pick me up in an hour from my place. They close at 1 PM sharp. We can't be late or else we'll miss it.

I suck in a breath and continue writing out notes for the article. The food? Otherworldly. The appetizers alone –

Carter: Okay, sounds good. I miss you. Did my Honey Cakes miss me?