𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥

Waking up in the morning without a headache is, I think, the most miraculous thing to ever happen to me. I am, however, slightly confused, as I sit up. I am not in my own bed, but Lou's, in her bedroom. I rub my eye and squint at the strange lump on the bedroom floor. The lump grunts and rolls, and I realise it's Lou. On the floor.

"Why are you.."

"You pushed me off, dickhead."

I blink, then snort. With energy I have no idea she can generate, Lou leaps up onto the bed, landing promptly on me. I make a rather unattractive 'Oomph!' of a noise, and Lou snickers, satisfied. I push her off me, then roll to get out of bed. 

"I thought I was meant to go home."

"You were shitfaced, so I took the liberty of texting your mom and letter her know you were gonna stay at mine." 

"Oh, right...are you my guardian angel?"

Lou grins, sly. 

"Maybe."

I roll my eyes in a playful manner, padding around the room in search of my things, which are strewn about across the floor. Once certain I have everything, I was to the closet and sift through my things until I find a pair of good leggings. However, I pause, something not feeling right. Going to practice right now seems...off. Then, it clicks. 

"Oh, shit!"

"What?!"

Lou jumps at my outburst. I rush to grab my bag, stuffing everything into it. I look around for my phone, and Lou gestures to her nightstand where its charging. I grab it. 

"The competition is today, yeah?"

"Oh, fuck. It starts in an hour, April! Go now, I'll be there in time for your program. Go, go!"

Lou scrambles out of bed to hurriedly usher me out of the bedroom, down the hall and to the front door. Lou's mom calls a 'Hello!' from the kitchen, and I feel shitty for not saying anything back. However, this isn't a competition I can afford to lose- quite literally. There's a five-hundred dollar cash prize to the first place competitor, and a shit ton of figure team scouts. For a skater of my level, missing it could mean missing out on an entire career. A wave goodbye to Lou and rush out of the front door, down the drive and to Lou's car, seeing as mine is still at my house. I hope in, turn the key and reverse out. She always walks to most of her practice anyways, as she loves to spend that extra thirty minutes with her earphones in, listening to whatever music she feels like, enjoying being alone. As I drive along the main street, I thank all the Gods that Bluestown is a place of people who love their Sunday lay-ins, because the roads are completely clear. By the time I park outside the rink, it's only been ten minutes. 

I pause to take a breath, tilting the car mirror down towards myself. Oh, Lord. I look like a mess- unbrushed tangled hair, smudged makeup, dress still on from the night before. And I don't even have time to fix it. Annoyed, I reach into the back and grab my skates alongside a plastic bag containing my outfit for my program. Usually, my mom sews me something simple. However, she surprised me with this one, buying me a beautiful new dress from a designer upstate. Careful not to drop anything, I get out and walk inside. Surprisingly, Lorri is seated at the front desk, typing with one finger on a keyboard. He looks me up and down and grins. 

"Rough night?"

"Please don't ask."

"Wasn't planning on it, my dear. Go and change before Carla sees you, hm?"

I nod and sheepishly make for the shortcut around the rink, thankful that the only other people there are across the rink or out on the ice. I make my way into the changing rooms and beeline for the sinks, washing my face. Then, I drag a hairbrush through my hair and struggle out of my dress, changing into my outfit. I smooth it down, then reach for my makeup bag. I use white eyeliner instead of black, and add little gemstones just beneath my eyes as a final touch to my full face. Finally, I grab some gel and smooth my hair back into a slick bun. Once I've tightened my skates onto my feet, I walk to the mirror to look at myself. The dress truly is stunning- mostly white, with slightly pale blue tones running through. It's hand-embroidered with hundreds of flashy sequins across my chest, with long, flowing sleeves. I tilt to the side, pleased with the way it hugs my figure- my mom must've sent them my exact measurements, because there doesn't seem to be a single fault in the sizing. Pleased and feeling much better, I reach for a black jacket and slip it on, zipping it up to cover my outfit and keep me warm. I take a deep breath, then walk out.

In the twenty minutes I was inside the changing rooms, the rink has become way busier than it usually gets for figure competitions. The panel of judges is already sitting lined up at one side of the rink, and the seats are filling up with spectators. I spot my parents seating themselves down beside Lou, and I beam. Carla stands a few meters away from me, and I approach her, nervous. 

"April, breathe. You've had this program nailed for weeks."

"It's just...busy."

I exhale, glancing around. The competition are arriving now, all dressed just as sparkly as I am, coaches at their side. I spot Mackenzie glaring at me from beside a coach I barely recognise as human, the Botox in her cheeks making her face look all puffy. I think briefly of the night before, but quickly push the thought aside. Winning this competition will be much more important than being called a slut. 

"No wonder why! Look."

Carla holds her phone up to me, and I look at the screen. It's the hockey team's twitter account, claiming that the entire team will be showing up to 'Support their fellow skaters!'. I almost jump to look around, and sure enough, a gaggle of boys are crowded together in the audience, soaking up the attention from their peers. Amongst them, I see Blake, but his eyes aren't on me. He's looking at Mackenzie. I purse my lips, then smile at Carla. 

"This will be good for Lorri, right?"

"If you win, which I have no doubt you will, it will be great for him. You're our home skater, April- the best one we've had in a long time."

My cheeks flush.

"Thank you, Carla."

One of the judges stands, microphone in hand. 

"Silence in the crowd, please. May our first competitor step onto the ice." 

I exhale. Here we go.