Chapter 20: The Final Battle!

E M B E R

Neither we nor those monsters waste time baptizing the land with blood, and the bitter, acidic odour of corpses emanates from it. The dewy grass flickers like a diamond flame as blood-curdling howls rent the air, bones shatter and crack, and hearts rip out of chests. 

It feels unreal and nauseating that we're at war. 

Luckily we haven't been outnumbered, thanks to other Alphas who pitch their warriors to fight against those bloodsuckers with us. In fact, Dexter manages to bring most of our warriors from the Crimson Shadow territory as well. 

The effluvium of death is all around us, a jet of blood surges into the air, and it tastes ungodly, so tangy and coppery, which makes it too real not to believe that we are indeed at war and that too many people are dying. 

As much as I feel gratitude, I feel guilty and responsible for all this.

I stop after ripping a heart out with my teeth and looking into the dead eyes of a vampire before the body withers away. This battle is heart-thumping, and the wind whips at my face, cooling down my blood-soaked white fur when I glance at the carrion-black sky with splashes of poppy red, reflecting on the huge full moon reminiscent of the night six years ago. 

It is carnage. 

That's when a swarm of opponents sneer and stalk me. 

"Let's kill this bitch!" 

I blink back and look at them as a hybrid breaks away and rushes at me. 

Next, a vampire growls and lunges at me. 

I battle against both of them.

They might be fast because of their abilities, but their venom isn't lethal as my bite. So, I tire them back and forth before I pin down the hybrid under my claw and bite down, only to hear the man holler in pain and fear when I am tugged back with so much force that I fly back against the ground and land with a loud thud.

"Get away from him, you mutt." 

I briefly wobble and stand to face the vampire, who hurtfully looks at her (likely) dying mate and then glowers at me. "I'm going to kill you." 

I howl. 

Bring it on!

Right, when the vampire lunges at me, Ivory steps in and, in the blink of an eye, takes care of the woman by biting into her neck and ripping her throat out.

She then looks over at me. 

Why are you wasting your time here?

Excuse me?

She moves on to another one and continues to chat in the mind link. 

We are bestowed with enough support here, so you go to Sebastian and kill that hybrid bastard. Get your sweet revenge, Ember!

Unconvinced, I stare at her, watching as she rips his heart out and looks up with a deadpan expression before she notices me and sighs.

Go now! 

I nod in agreement and turn around as I run deeper into the woods to the cottage where I was held captive. My body hurts, and blood taints my fur. It doesn't matter. Nothing mattered to me except my revenge but now, not with that. The only thing that matters now is him