Chapter 21

"Come to us. Come back, Josie." The woman's voice contained an interesting mix of both sadness and hope.

It made the girl curious. Seeing nothing but darkness, she willed the muscles in her eyelids to work.

"That's it, my darling. You can do it. Open your eyes, dear girl." The woman urged, now with a hint of excitement.

Josie wanted to do as asked, but the tapping sound of approaching footsteps, the pungent smell of antiseptic, and the cold feel of a small object against her upper chest distracted her. She continued to lie still, listening to her own even breathing.

"I'm afraid your vigil is more of a detriment to you, Mrs. Bradley than it is of use to your daughter," a male voice said from nearby.

"I understand your concern, Doctor, but if I've been able to last this long, I'm not going to give up now . . . oh, look!" she exclaimed, interrupting her rebuttal.

A sliver of light forced its way between Josie's lashes, and she squeezed her lids shut against the intrusion.

"Did you see that? She heard me. She's truly awake." The woman's voice was even closer now, and Josie soon felt a light, warm touch on her arm. "Open your eyes, Josie, and come back to us."

When the girl didn't respond, the woman addressed her companion. "Doctor, please. You must try the salts again."

"I suppose it wouldn't do any harm." The man sighed before Josie heard the faint rustling of fabric. "Can you take a deep breath for me, Josie?"

The smell of ammonia burned her nose, and Josie coughed. The movement sparked something insider her, and she slowly looked up.

The woman stood at her bed, reaching over the thin bars of the side to touch the girl's arm with one hand. Raising the other, she used her long, thin fingers to wipe a lock of hair off Josie's forehead. Her lips quivered, and tears began to flow out of her shapely, brown eyes.

"Oh, my darling. I knew you weren't gone forever." She sobbed, leaning over the girl for a warm embrace.

"Mother?" Josie's voice was weak, her throat dry and scratchy from disuse.

"I'm here, sweet one. Everything is going to be all right now." The woman straightened up once more and smoothed out the strands of wavy dark hair that cascaded around her youthful face.

"What happened?" Josie attempted to push herself to a sitting position, but found no strength to do so. "I recall going to the theater. We were on our way home and then . . .." She shook her head, not remembering the rest.

"There was an accident, my dear. Our carriage was forced off the road, tumbling into a swollen creek made higher than usual by the storm. Father managed to pull us both out just in time, but you've been asleep ever since."

"Ahem." The physician - still standing on the other side of the bed holding a Y-shaped tube connected to a flat, metallic object - cleared his throat. "Comatose. The proper medical term for Josie's condition over the last few weeks is comatose."

"Well, yes. Whatever you want to call it is of no consequence." The woman dismissed his correction with a wave of her hand. "Although there were times your eyes were open, you've been as good as sleeping, Josie. But now you're finally awake. That's all that matters."